Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    benjahw benjahw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    467
    +1
    30

    Kawi and the GIO...again

    Anyone getting anywhere with kawasaki on paying for a fix for the GIO? on the 07's that is. Anyone get them to buy the vetilator kit or get new engine parts or new engine. hours are adding up and even tho im changing oil every 20 or 15 hours i feel like this motor isnt going to last as long as it should. I'm about to send a letter to kawi corp in California explaining the situation and possible fixes. We'll see.


  2. #2
    mugmainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    111
    I havent heard anything yet as well...

    Not that i want it to happen... but well i have to five year warranty so if blows and they have to give me a new ski that would be great....

    I just wish they would pay for the fix and acknowledge the problem...

  3. #3
    Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Old Hickory,Tn
    Posts
    5,446
    +1
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by mugmainer View Post
    I havent heard anything yet as well...

    Not that i want it to happen... but well i have to five year warranty so if blows and they have to give me a new ski that would be great....

    I just wish they would pay for the fix and acknowledge the problem...
    You may want to reread your warranty, they may do repairs, but they arent gong to GIVE you a new ski.

  4. #4
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    You may want to reread your warranty, they may do repairs, but they arent gong to GIVE you a new ski.
    and they also have to prove that the GIO was the cause of the failure

  5. #5
    2005 RXT Red08Ultra250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dunedin, FL
    Posts
    908
    its best to just bite the bullet and get the vent kit. Easier than dealing with the alternatives. Plus, they will never admit it anyways.

    Did seadoo ever admit the supercharger washer problems? Nope. But in 08, 4 years later, they decided to install metal washers and not really say anything about it. At least kawi did something about it by fixing it for 08.

    These are the perils of buying first year skis I guess. I guess next we will see if the new yammi's produce any headaches.

  6. #6
    DavyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    108
    Have not had any issues with gas in the oil yet . Does it happen to all 07 250's

  7. #7
    Guys, prior to installing R&D's vent system, I was changing my oil after every 60 mile WOT ride... yes, after every ride. I purchased synthetic mix for 4.00 per quart of oil - four quarts of oil out - and a little less than four quarts of new oil back in. 4x4=$16.00 per change x four times a month = 64.00 a month. Heavy operating expenses on this craft.

    Now, keep in mind that I think I had a pretty significant GIO problem - there was always a heavy fuel smell in my oil after every WOT 60 mile ride. The thought of fuel in there makes me very uncomfortable. Regardless, I would suggest changing the oil more frequently than 20 - 25 hours. If nothing else, make sure you are checking the oil level and extracting out excess oil (fuel) that may be in your crankcase

    BTW - I did the Mark Hahn - WOT for 4 and a half hours - we had removed all fuel from the vent system catch can prior to the race and put new Full-Syn oil in. AFTER the race we removed four ounces of fuel from the R&D catch can....
    Last edited by Socaloffshore; 03-07-2008 at 11:35 AM.

  8. #8
    2005 RXT Red08Ultra250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dunedin, FL
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Socaloffshore View Post
    Guys, prior to installing R&D's vent system, I was changing my oil after every 60 mile WOT ride... yes, after every ride. I purchased synthetic mix for 4.00 per quart of oil - four quarts of oil out - and a little less than four quarts of new oil back in. 4x4=$16.00 per change x four times a month = 64.00 a month. Heavy operating expenses on this craft.

    Now, keep in mind that I think I had a pretty significant GIO problem - there was always a heavy fuel smell in my oil after every WOT 60 mile ride. The thought of fuel in there makes me very uncomfortable. Regardless, I would suggest changing the oil more frequently than 20 - 25 hours. If nothing else, make sure you are checking the oil level and extracting out excess oil (fuel) that may be in your crankcase

    BTW - I did the Mark Hahn - WOT for 4 and a half hours - we had removed all fuel from the vent system catch can prior to the race and put new Full-Syn oil in. AFTER the race we removed four ounces of fuel from the R&D catch can....
    and was there fuel in the oil still? or is it working.

  9. #9
    little bit but nothing compared to what used to flow through

  10. #10
    benjahw benjahw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Naples, Fl
    Posts
    467
    +1
    30
    ya. im using synthetic oil thats 8 bucks a quart. so theres a big expenditure. i dont ride as hard as a lot of you but still try to do it every 15 hours or so. i sent in a letter; just curious if they will even respond. otherwise i dont know if its going to be safer for me to buy the ventilation kit or let the engine eventually detonate. im at 240 hours and the engine feels like its faster than ever. but thats a lof of hours.

    heres what i sent kawi. is it stupid?

    March 6, 2008

    Dear Kawasaki,
    I purchased a 2007 Jet Ski ultra 250x new from the dealer. I have owned it for about 8 months. After about 20 hours on the machine both the dealer and I noticed that gas was mixing with the engine oil. As you know this is very detrimental to an engine. Due to this problem I have been changing my oil every 15-20 hours. I am under warranty and will most likely purchase the four year extended warranty especially due to this Gas in oil problem. The dealer and Kawasaki recommend changing the oil every 50 hours or every season. I feel that if the oil was changed according to the normal service schedule the engine will have a very high risk of detonation.
    There are alternatives to my engine failing. There is an aftermarket product which relieves crankcase pressure which has been shown to fix the gas in oil problem as noted by the greenhulk PWC online forum. http://greenhulk.net/forums/ . The produce is called
    The ULTRA 250X CRANKCASE VENTILATION & VAPOR SEPARATOR KIT (389.99 by R & D). I feel your company needs to fix this problem. Whether it is with the ventilation kit or possibly new pistons and rings I don’t care. I can do what the book says and change the oil after 50 hours of riding but I feel that would be bad news for both Kawasaki and me when the engine detonates under warranty. My dealer is aware of the problem and has contacted Kawasaki about it once and will call again if needed. I want to resolve the issue without Kawasaki having to replace the whole powertrain. Please respond by email or phone. Thank You.



    239.734.xxxx
    [email protected]

    3150 xxxxxxxx #302
    Naples, Florida 34105

    2007 Kawasaki Ultra 250x VIN # kaw3xxxxxxxx
    Last edited by benjahw; 03-12-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Great Job GL and the 985 Kawi 300x Bayou Beast
    By BAYOU FZR in forum Race Events and News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 05:13 PM
  2. Did kawi fix the GIO prob for 08?
    By mooneyb91084 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM
  3. ...and the Kawi section springs to life!
    By Vman in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 11:06 AM
  4. Gp1200r SUCKS, In the shop again and I am being screwed
    By neillauer in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 07:31 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •