Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1

S3 users, got a question.

Alright, I did my fair share of searching and found mixed results. But how hard is the S3 on bearings/clutches? Is this a setup that warrants constant shimming and new washers often? Either way the Green wheel appears to be the most reliable way to roll.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Alright, I did my fair share of searching and found mixed results. But how hard is the S3 on bearings/clutches? Is this a setup that warrants constant shimming and new washers often? Either way the Green wheel appears to be the most reliable way to roll.
    I ran a S3 with no problems, but i am very careful with my ski. Or atleast do not try to come unhooked at WOT too much. I sold my S3 so sent it to Jerry for go over. He said it looked "fantastic". With being said I think that it all depends on your riding style and how you take care of your ski in regards to coming un hooked alot and so on. I am sure others will chime in on this with different oppinions.I will say the the s3 was one of the best upgrades that I did. Very nice with loads of power. From what i have heard the S3 has quite bit more performance then the green wheel. But do not get me wrong, the green wheel is the best drop in wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    I ran a S3 with no problems, but i am very careful with my ski. Or atleast do not try to come unhooked at WOT too much. I sold my S3 so sent it to Jerry for go over. He said it looked "fantastic". With being said I think that it all depends on your riding style and how you take care of your ski in regards to coming un hooked alot and so on. I am sure others will chime in on this with different oppinions.I will say the the s3 was one of the best upgrades that I did. Very nice with loads of power. From what i have heard the S3 has quite bit more performance then the green wheel. But do not get me wrong, the green wheel is the best drop in wheel.
    +1 with a fairly reasonable price... I recommend it unless you have $$$ to spend, then go with Rude.

+1
    i find i am always messing with shims on the s3, everywhere i ride is pretty choppy though....

this was towars the 100hr mark too....everything was OE except for the spring washers, i put a new SC gear on end of last season because the OE one was worn too much from my riding in rough water, i have not gotten a chance to try it out yet this season....i was seeing 79.1 8400rpm and 10.5lbs of boost so i imagine with the right amount of slip those numbers should go up.

installing shims i believe isnt always the answer because if you think about it installing them actually makes the spring washers "flatter" and doesnt give any tension because you are pushing in the center of them...
    Last edited by meeper; 03-07-2008 at 12:19 PM.

+1
    Last edited by skoepp; 03-07-2008 at 02:21 PM.

+1
    i also have the 15/19r 3 blade sent out to get me 100 more rpms... and edegs redone, so i will see what this season brings especially with the 81mm nozzle.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    All the riding I do is on small Kansas lakes. Usually dont make a habit of going out if its rough. Most of the time its pretty smooth. I dont put a whole lot of hours on a ski anyways. For instance.. When I sold my 2000 Ultra to my brother recently it only had 62 hours on it. I bought it new in 2000!!!!!! As far as the blower goes, im not looking for something that is positively maintenance free. I know that with anything performance oriented comes that maintenance that needs to be done. But I dont want to be constantly shimming the dam blower. Just wanted to get some input from guys that have used the S3 to help with the decision process.

PS: The Rude is cool. But I dont want to drop that much coin on one.

+1
    For riding on the small, smooth lakes and no more hours than you appear to ride I would doubt that you would have to shim 1-2 times a year if that.

How many hours did you put on your S3?

I put 75 hard hours on mine last year. I did change out the spring washers after about 50 hours or so because of slipage, but that was also because of the fact that the S/C had 100 hours on its worn out shaft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information