Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sure could use some help!!!

Hi, First time post on this forum. Before i post I will tell you I have searched this forum and tried many things already. I have two 96 SLX 780 machines with very low hours however they both sat three years. Last fall i fired them up. Both ran sweet for about 6 minutes or so then stalled out. Got them running again but they tend to want to run about 29 mph. Here is what Ive tried: 1.) cleaned the carbs 2.) Cleaned the tank 3.) took the fuel pump apart (its clean) 4.) cut the plug wires back and reattached boots 5.) pulled the float out of the pickup stem and floated it in gas (it floats although one end floats higher than the other??? is this normal? 6.) sprayed contact cleaner on the board on side of pick up stem 7.) changed plugs 8.) Swore alot and drank a 6 then swore some more. Im really not sure what to do next. Anyone have any ideas? The machines will run fine just wont come out of the hole with that (powerband) type acceleration that they should. Some times if you bounce on them while running or hit big waves they will shoot forward for a second and then crap out and run at 29 or so again. The plugs are wet and dont appear to be hot. It seems almost like limp mode. In fact i was sure it was but now??? Im outta options? What could be making both do this? FYI - I just did the float check and plug wire thing tonight so...that may have fixed things but...im really not too optimistic.

+1
    Welcome to the hulk.

Have you checked the Jetpump?? frozen bearings warped stator bad impeller etc???

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Lockout. You've tried some good stuff so far. What are the RPM at? 4200 would be limp mode for sure. Have you done compression tests and a leak down test? Notice any gas spraying out the tops of the carbs? Plugs look wet, may be a clue. They should be dry with a milk chocolate color.

+1
    welcome to the forum

Welcome to the HULK!!!!!!! Step one drink, step 2 same as step 1. LOL!!!

I would do a compression check, See what kind of #'s you have. Next check pump stater bearings. Like mentioned above. Both are easy checks.

Actually both machines will run in the driveway pretty well. I revd the one up last night and it hit 6400 rpm but when it gets in the water it just dont have the punch. Like I say, the confusing thing was the first time i put them in the water after a 3 year sit they both took off and ran at top speed beautifully. Then after a little while they kinda crapped out. I figured plug foul. The water seperator had a little water in it so I stopped running both and completely cleaned tanks and changed gas. Again. carbs tore down. Screens clean. Im confused beyond words. I am pretty mechanically inclined but when we get to talking electrical or anything in that little black box, im going to need small words. Im electrically challenged. Crazy thing about this is. These two machines still look like brand new...They have hardly been used. I want to get them running right in the worst damn way.

How do I perform the pump stator bearing checks? ... And by the way....this is an awesome forum. Im really inpressed. I wish they had something like this back in my motorcross bike days !

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Running the engine out of the water means nothing, there's no load on it. Basically you're free revving it which is bad. Compression test it. If it wasn't fogged properly, there may be rust present which could have caused a problem.

ok. Im going to have to find someone with a compression checker. I will do that and report back.

Am i safe then in assuming that if the float in the sender will float in gas that it is ok to put back into the machine?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information