Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sea Doo Bashing?

I have been looking into buying some new skis. I have been posting and trying to do some reasearch. So far an RXP and RXT seem to be good choices for me but spending $20k is a lot for me and I wanted to make the right choice.

I have been noticing on other forums, seadoo bashing. Mostly reliability issues. I am an ok mechanic but I really dont want to do anything more then normal or heavy maintenance. I am not into making repairs.

I know this is an RXP board and you guys are partial to seadoos but please give me a realistic view.

(by the way, you guys have been very helpful to me so far and I really appreciate it)

+1
    Just look past the bashing. Sea Doo has had their share of problems in the past some of them very serious and still have problems even with the newest units. It's my opinion, that non-problem skis out-number problem skis.

RXP and RXT both could have clutch failures depending oh how hard you ride. It's a wear item, replace it if it fails.

I know of 2 RXP's that had issues with fiberglass in the pumpshoe. Mine is one of them, dealer fixed it.

RXP is a large heavy ski and the RXT is larger, while you can turn and be playful with them there are other skis out there that do it better. Some say they are both only good for fast straight riding, i disagree but I am trying to be partial here.

The RXP is harder to ride in the chop and is a very wet ride.

Try to look past the bashing, you'll find good advice on any message board, you just have to look.

I definitely looked past the bashing and made my decision based on the Rotax technology with super charger and intercooler. Excellent hull design, stability and the fact that every one in my area rides Kawa and Yama. When I launch my boats people stare and wish they had my rig. Besides there fast as heck.

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    Well it's a touchy topic, especially here.

SeaDoo has always had and always will have a more aggressive marketing, meaning they need to come with fancier, more appealing products to their target market.

For the sake of market shares SeaDoo has a tendency to rush skis in production before they're 100% ready for everyone, but they're ready for most and it's all that matters.

No matter how many times you will hear "oh if you take good care of it it will last" SeaDoos aren't as well built as Japanese skis, it doesn't mean they aren't good enough for you, it's just that they're good for some and not for others.

Kawasaki, Honda and Yamaha (Yamaha is FINALLY coming out a few years of bad skis) are very old school companies, Japanese people are very anal and they're going to focus on longer lasting skis, unbreakable workhorses because they know what it costs to recall a product.
    And considering their market share they better do that, they focus on quality and dependability, SeaDoo focuses on maximum sales and the percentage of skis they will have to cover under warranty will be easily made up by the volume of sales.

So instead of buying a product that doesn't fit your needs, break it because you have it do stuff it can't and then bitch, just think a little more before you buy.
    And this is no easy task because you will hear lots of misleading information coming from people who will defend their brand no matter what, going as far as telling you you should buy the same ski they got, even though they never tried it for the use you're going to make of it.

So do not overhear the bashing, try to understand it, most of the time it is generated by the fact skis aren't used for what they were designed for.

You will never hear a Ferrari owner say "If I take good care of it, it's just as reliable as a Toyota", because he would be laughed at, because we all know it's not true.

Narrowing to the specific skis you're mentioning, the RXP and RXT, it will all depend on what you will do with it.
    On both skis the clutch problem will be more of a problem if you ride ocean, because hooking/unhooking the pump will wear it out sooner.
    On the other hand if you ride on a lake there is a good chance you will never hear of "the clutch problem"

Also it's important to know that the RXP is not a good ocean ski, at least in its stock form, its handling in rough water is really not on the par with an RXT, XP or STX.
    But if you ride on a lake, you will be just fine and don't understand why people tell you its handling is bad.

Bottomline is that 80% of the market is lake riding, so 80% people will be happy with their SeaDoos.

So as much as you want to ignore the bashers you also don't want to listen to the euphoric users who love their ski for what they use it for and since they're happy with it will think it's perfect for everybody.

PS: I currently own 2 Kawasakis, 1 Yamaha and 1 SeaDoo.

+1
    Go ride all skis and make up your mind what fits you the best . Eleven is pro kawasaki and i am pro sea-doo . He thinks kawasaki is the best thing since sliced bread and i think the rxp is the best thing since slice bread. He lives in a treehugging state i live on the east free state

+1
    Yep, we all have our own opinions on what the best ski is. The best ski in the world is what fits your riding conditons and what fits you. Ride a bunch of skis and find what works for you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    Yep, we all have our own opinions on what the best ski is. The best ski in the world is what fits your riding conditons and what fits you. Ride a bunch of skis and find what works for you.
    Exactly no two people are the same any typpe of ski is fun reguradless of make or model or weather you ride in the ocean or lake

I have owned a 2001 sea-doo rx,2003 sea-doo xp and now currently own the 2004 rxp.And all i can say about my rxp is that it's simply bad-@ss.If ya feel the need for speed.This be your ski.The rxp is a heavy ski,handles excellent as far as hull design.There were some minor issues with some of the rxp's coming off of the assemby line.One was the knock sensor recall and the other was with a hinge to the top hood latch.The 2004 rxp come with a two year warrenty.I'm very happy with it and get alot of complements on it as well.
    The 2001 rx my wife bought,and after a few rides she did'nt like the sport as what she first thought,thus she sold that ski.The 2003 xp i bought because i watched all the young kids doing the tricks on'em.So i thought this was the ski to get.Well ya know what they say about trying to teach an ol' dawg new trick's.It was a nice ski,jus' not the right one fur me.

I agree with bling bling. Been on a SC and GPR in the oceam. Both are good rides, but for lake riding I prefer the GPR.

+1
    But no joke the rxp is a very wet ride without a Bow spray deflector in the lake or ocean . You will drink a lot of water . Bow spray is a must on one

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information