Flooded the ski - Questions

Hey fellas,

Well today my ski got flooded pretty bad. Basically when I pulled the seat off there was about 100mm (4 inches) of water in the bottom of the hull.

Engine was still running, but like a dog and it was blowing a lot of smoke. I killed the engine as soon as I noticed something was not right and discovered the water. I took it out of the water and let the hull drain out and took it home. Gave it a really good wash inside the hull to get all the salt water out and then cleaned the entire engine with degreaser and gave everything a coat of the BRP lube. Took the entire air intake off and made sure there was no water in it, pulled the plugs out and they were dry. Also pulled all the connections off the computer and they were also dry.

I sprayed a heap of BRP lube into the cylinders and wound the engine over with the plug out in-case there was any water in it, nothing. After about 2 hours in the sun everything was dry again and I hooked up the hose to it to flush the engine and try and see if I could locate the leak. Found the leak was coming from the back of a double fitting (number 7 in picture) and it was leaking a lot so that would explain the water in the hull. From what I can see this fitting is right after the main cooling intake for the engine/exhaust and also the same place where I connect the flushing hose to. Is this correct?

Can anyone tell me if I should be looking for anything else that could have caused this part to fail? Basically there is a massive split in the fitting and under pressure it was pissing out with water.

By the way the engine runs good and I could not spot any other issues. I could not flush it for long because of the leak either.

Any advice is appreciated! The ski is a GTX with a 2 stroke 951 DI.
    Last edited by XtRmn8; 03-09-2008 at 02:57 AM.

+1
    I believe there's a crankcase cooler connected to that split fitting and my guess would be that it over-heated a bit. I would repair ASAP and run it for at least a half hour to be sure there's no water in the engine. Don't let it sit for a day if you suspect water ingestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I believe there's a crankcase cooler connected to that split fitting and my guess would be that it over-heated a bit. I would repair ASAP and run it for at least a half hour to be sure there's no water in the engine. Don't let it sit for a day if you suspect water ingestion.
    Problem is I can not get the part for at least a couple of days. I don’t think the engine ingested water as the plugs were dry when I pulled them out. But you never know.

I also noticed a very small leak around the same fitting when I first got the ski and I thought it was one of the hoses, so I re-clamped it. But after pulling the fitting off I can now see a hairline crack between the two smaller connections on the top (original small leak) and this split has now gone right around and the back has a huge gash in it. Maybe this is the reason I could never get it to rev to 6800rpm. The most I would get is about 6660rpm on glass water. My partner who is a lot lighter then me got it up to 6700rpm when we did a few GPS speed runs.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Start the engine up on the trailer and let it run until the cylinders are hot to the touch. Then pull the spark plugs out to see if steam escapes out of the cylinders. Leave open until cool. Repeat 3-4 times if needed.

Rev engine to blow out residual water in the waterbox too.

+1
    could you repair that fitting with some electrical tape??? just for temporary???
    then you could run it on the water to burn of any water you might have ingested...
    but i think you probably didnt ingest any.
    do what 96xpss said if you are not sure.
    i doubt you overheated it, but you can do a compression check to see.

No warning light ever came on and the engine only ran for about a minute when i noticed something was not right. But I suspect that the fitting was leaking for a couple of the runs that morning and split right open when i hopped on and noticed the issue.

Anyway I got a new fitting today and installed it. I ran the ski on hose for about 20min at 2000-3000rpm, then turned the water off and gave it a few good revs for about 30sec. Pulled the plugs out and they were dry and no steam.

However I have another issue with smoke, refer to "How Smoky is your 2 stroke?" thread.

Cheers for your help guys.

Thread Information