Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How smokey is your 2 stroke?

I am not sure if my ski is a bit too smoky? I recently did a major service on it and replaced a whole bunch of things and the ski was been running great since.

However I think it is a bit smokier then before. What could cause it to burn too much oil? If this possible to adjust and if not what can I do?

I am not sure how much smoke is normal. I donít get lots of smoke but enough blue smoke to see and smell it.

Thanks.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you can adjust the cable that regulates the amount of oil that is injected to the carbs. sounds like you may need to tighten it up a bit to keep it from smokin' so bad. you should have a little blue at idle but not what your describing...I'd have to be infront of my Doo to remember how to adjust it.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    you can adjust the cable that regulates the amount of oil that is injected to the carbs. sounds like you may need to tighten it up a bit to keep it from smokin' so bad. you should have a little blue at idle but not what your describing...I'd have to be infront of my Doo to remember how to adjust it.
    I am going to have to nut this out and try and adjust it.

I know that at cold start-up I should get a bit of smoke, but I get a nice cloud. While idling there is a bit of smoke and on the water it is noticeable too, you can smell it.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    DI's should hardly ever smoke. Get a mirror and a flashlight. There is an adjustment line stamped on the cam of the oil pump. Align it to the stud where there is also a line stamped. At idle these should align perfectly.

Yours is a pain in the butt to get to!

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    DI's should hardly ever smoke. Get a mirror and a flashlight. There is an adjustment line stamped on the cam of the oil pump. Align it to the stud where there is also a line stamped. At idle these should align perfectly.

Yours is a pain in the butt to get to!
    Well I located the oil pump and 96XPSS is right, itís going to be a paint to get to I could not even check it. Will try again tomorrow.

Anyway when I start it, it blows smoke for about 5 seconds. When I hold the revs steady it is ok but if I do a quick WOT it blows a cloud of thick blue smoke as the revs fall. It is not right. I am going to check the oil pump tomorrow.

After running the ski on the trailer for about 20 min the plugs were pretty much black when I pulled them out. Not good.

Will too much oil make the engine lose power and revs? I think I have has this issue all along but recently it just got worse all of a sudden.

Yes, too much oil will make it lose revs and foul plugs.

6700-6750 is max rpms on a DI...BTW.

Good luck being upside-down!

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Yes, too much oil will make it lose revs and foul plugs.

6700-6750 is max rpms on a DI...BTW.

Good luck being upside-down!
    Well I have done aboout 8 hours in it since getting it and I am on my 3rd set of plugs

Max revs I can get is around 6600 on glass water. So I am down about 100rpm.

What if the pump is aligned ok? What to check next?

I just managed to get some clear macro shots of the oil pump with my camera.

This is what I found. The pump on my ski has 3 markings and seems to be set on the middle one.

Here are a couple of good shots. Should I move it back to the first line? This would reduce the amount of oil at idle? Why has this pump got two marks and a dot?

Cheers

Where it is would be the lowest setting, because the oil increases as the cable turns the cam. I have no idea why there are two notches...that's a DI thing.

You unfortunately have other issues going on that I can't help you with. Maybe other DI owners will see this thread and tell you what to possibly check, because it is something in the injection system causing the excessive smoke and poor performance. When a DI is right it is flawless, starts immediately, idles perfectly with hardly any smoke at all. And never fouls plugs.

Good luck!

+1
    running too much oil in the system can also make it run lean, because there's more oil than fuel in the mixture

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information