Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauge problems

Gauge problems

Ok I just did the open heart surgery on a faulty gauge (the long style). Everything worked great! All the characters in the gauge are now darkly lit and easy to read no problems! One actually I dont seem to have fuel or oil levels? When I turn the display on everything lights up but when the diaplay goes into "normal" the fuel and oils levels disapear. I have ran the Calibration to no avail. There is a fuse out on the terminal board (the short one) but it looks like it's for the bilge maybe though it is also connected to the sending units? Any help would be great thanks!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If the fuse was bad it wouldn't light up. Can you put a ohmeter on the sending unit wires and read the resistence? 33 ohm full and 240 is empty.

yeah I'm not good with ohm meter so you have to give a little more deatil than that which wires do i test (what color and where are they)? Also what setting on the ohm meter should i be using?

+1
    Oil is a solid blue and fuel is pink. Put one lead on either of those and the other to ground. It should read between 33 and 240 depending where the float's sitting. Meters are different, set it to the lowest measurement.

I'm in the process of getting a new battery for my meter and remembered that I neglected to mention that the gauge isn't the one that came on the ski new. This guage is different because the fuel and oil levels go straight up instead of curving around the top rwo corners like the original did. I had to get a 12 to 8 pin adapter so this one would connect would the different gauges possibly be incompatable for the fuel and oils levels? Also just a thought would the lack of a signal from the sender put the ski in limp mode because i had no levels last year eighther but ski ran fine, look forward to hearing from you guys thanks!

+1
    12 to 8 pin adapters shouldn't matter. I think they had to matched up perfectly though to work properly. Wetherby use to be the authority on this topic, unfortunately he doesn't visit here anymore.

Low fuel or oil will put ski into limp mode. Maybe someone by-passed the limp mode by removing the tan/or grey wire inside the elec box?

+1
    All the sending units work the same,regardless of MFD.Fuel guages fail alot because of the float.Measure the oil sender or take it out to see if it is stuck.
    Did you have to wire the adaptor in or simply plug it in?
    I'm assuming you have a later model craft(99 2000-2001) the limp mode was only for overheat.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Explude, just curious, where do you ride? Tahoe?

It's a 1999 slx. I will definately get a measurement on those wires soon! As for the adapter I just had to plug it in. i wish i could ride Tahoe but they outlawed two strokes a few years back I mainly ride Pyramid Lake Very similiar in size, but not as Pristine. Will post soon thanks Guys!

Ok got the battery but now i have no idea what i'm doing with this thing! It has three ports to plug the leads in and I dont even know what should go where The ports read as follow
    1) 10ADC
    2) V(ohm)mA
    3) COM
    Which lead goes where? and I tried a few different configurations of the ports and it seemed that putting the red to the pink and the black to the black for the fuel sender only gave a measure at 2000K ohm and it was like 1300 so thats got to be wrong so any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information