Is this normal???

been out with my 1300 05 model this weekend and noticed something on my ski.

when crusing between 4000 and 5000 revs and suddenly i hit the gas,the ski feels like it pulls back first/like loses power/small miss and then comes alive.when u hit the throttle between those revs only then it does that.the only conversion is catalytic converters removed and d-plate installed for now.what could be causing this

also i noticed when my friend was using my ski and pulling away from the stand still ,the ski was sounded at the exist nozzel like it was breaking up.made this sound like it was missing.but according to my friend and even when i rode it after ,it makes that sound but no eveidence of the loss in power .i heard another 07 gp 1300 and made the same sound whn it was pulling away fron stand still.spoke to the owner and he said that theres something wrong cause it never did that before

the sound of the miss is similar to the sound when u run your motor of the ski out the water.it sound like motor is choking

guys pls comment

+1

Lightbulb ?

Hey there..

The first issue i'm not certain what might be causing the hesitation..??
    Could be a bad spark plug.. (wild guess..!!)
    That or likely a bit of a flat spot in the powerband..??

As for the second problem yes that is normal...
    Whats likely happening is when the throttle gets nailed from a dead stop..?
    You are more than likely banging into the rev limiter.. Which is causing the breaking down sound..
    That and possibly (likely) some cavitation (which is basically wheelspin in the water)..
    Again making the engine bump into the rev limiter..

G....

Quadzilla thanks,will get my spark plugs replaced at once.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Full_Throttle View Post
    Quadzilla thanks,will get my spark plugs replaced at once.
    As i said this is a bit of a wild guess..

Have a look at them to see what they look like..??

Check the colour of the porcelain.. double check the gap.. see if any of the plugs seems wetter than the others..

These non power valve skis have a bit of a flat spot between 4000-5000 rpm's..
    Through the ski shouldn't feel like its dying under you.. more of a very slight nothing then bam..

Check to see how it feels on your friends 07 next time out, since basically the ski's are the same except for the colours..

Gerry

African-American
    +1
    Mine did a similar thing, from cavitation. Badly worn wear ring and impellor.

+1
    when crusing between 4000 and 5000 revs and suddenly i hit the gas,the ski feels like it pulls back first/like loses power/small miss and then comes alive.when u hit the throttle between those revs only then it does that.the only conversion is catalytic converters removed and d-plate installed for now.what could be causing this
    Most of the non-power valve motors have a little "dead" spot right there when accelerating from cruise.

+1
    +1 I noticed the same thing on my 07. Also just make sure your throttle cable is nice and tight that helps with responsiveness. Mine was as loose as untied shoelaces when I bought my ski.

+1
    Do you have a free flow and D plate? I had the same dead spot on my 06 after the install of these 2 mods. I added a efi controller and away it went... Ive heard some people say its not needed and others say it is... It seems like it varies from ski to ski... MIne definately needed it!!!

no free flow yet but d-plate installed

Thread Information