Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Anybody run this setup without efi controller?

Spoke to R&D to clarify, and they said definatley efi controller not needed for this setup, but in too chicken to try, unless other people have done it!!
    It's their stage 1, so:
    Freeflow, hich comp heads, d-plate,air filter (the Riva power filter option).
    I have run a d-plate and freeflow in the past with no problems without the controller, but are the heads and air filter mods also ok without it?
    Im at sea level

+1
    You need a controller to add fuel to that set up!! Im pretty sure higher compression and increased air flow needs more fuel!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Spoke to R&D to clarify, and they said definatley efi controller not needed for this setup, but in too chicken to try, unless other people have done it!!
    It's their stage 1, so:
    I have run a d-plate and freeflow in the past with no problems without the controller, but are the heads and air filter mods also ok without it?
    Im at sea level
    a pro will chime in soon but i would not with heads and filter as a combo..

buy a controler from store to keep you in the safe zone as non of those pwc forum guys will sell you one

+1
    I wouldnt run without the controller with that setup.
    I can see no controller with just the FF and D-plate but by bumping the compression and adding the filter (more air) I would say you will be running lean without the controller.

+1
    We had an 05 running with VFIIIs, filter, D-plate and no controller... worked fine, but a little lean in the midrange.

Im at sea level
    You would be fine IMO, but the controller helps in the mid, and the crossover is a nice feature to have.

It will be lean in the midrange without a controller. Maybe your engine will live, but it will hesitate in the mid from being lean. When it hesitates, its talking to you, saying, FEED ME< FEED ME..
    Midrange is where these engines run the hottest when unported. I keep my controller at 5s in the mid to keep the temps below 1200 degrees on my unported 1300.
    Dont take a chance, do it right and save your pistons from the incenerator.
    Strangely enough, R&Ds stage one does not include any flame arrestor, and that in itself make a big difference.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Dont take a chance, do it right and save your pistons from the incenerator.
    Strangely enough, R&Ds stage one does not include any flame arrestor, and that in itself make a big difference.
    R&d stage 1 kit for the 03-04 DOES include their 'power stack' air filter-The one that bolts to the front of the airbox-I checked.

Weird, 03-04 does include it, 05 up does not...

I would run an controller to run it a little richer. Too lean is a bad thing

+1
    With stock prop and intake grate, it may be slightly lean, but if you go to a bigger pitch/loader style intake grate and load the engine harder I agree with WFO and you will be fine...

I run no airbox cover, reed spacers, 140psi compression, open bucket ect and with vx 14/24 egt were 1025 and 1110 cruising with 14/25 my egt was 1070 wide open and 1160 cruising With 14/20 1100 wide open and 1205 cruising...

With 14/20 I had lean midrange hesitation and I dont like being over 1200 exhaust gas temperature at any time.

Just for referrence... running the propeller, it loads the motor so little, I have to run my high side on 11 just to keep it from runnign too hot on egts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information