I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

Gonna be taking out the SL780 for its first run after rebuild...

Is there a way I can sort of make sure it won't be running too lean when I do my plug chops for the first run and break-in period? Everything is stock and I used the carb settings found on here and in my manual.

+1
    The best proven way to break in an engine for a long lifetime is the following...

Make sure you use the right oil and have the right gas oil mixture 40:1 if you have a two-stroke...I would use this in my first tank at least if not also the second. As for break-in, from the best reports that I have read and my personal opinion based on knowing people in the Polaris design for the watercraft division, the best thing to do is to ride your jetski for only 15-20 minutes at a time for the first three times you use it. Be sure that the engine gets to cool off completely between the first three rides. On the first ride, do not go over 1/2 throttle, the second ride go only 3/4 throttle and on the third ride go full throttle a couple times but only for about 10-15 seconds. Also, vary your throttle speed as much as possible as you ride. What this all does is get all the engine components up to operating temperatures and then allows them to cool down, it conditions the metal parts due to the expansion and contraction due to the temp changes. This will break-in your jetski for a long life. After that, balls to the wall and have fun!

+1
    I agree with the above but usually run my break-in at 32:1 with dino oil.

Be sure to run your ride on the trailer for a few minutes while checking for water and/or fuel leaks, loose clamps etc.

+1
    Thanks guys! Just one other thing though, how do I know I have my carb adjustments close enough so that I don't burn a hole through my pistons?

+1
    Give the lows and highs an extra 1/4 turn OUT or richer, get your first break in tank through the engine and then worry about the WOT runs that burn the pistons down.
    When you get to that second tank and you take a WOT pass, perform a plug chop and see where you are.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Give the lows and highs an extra 1/4 turn OUT or richer, get your first break in tank through the engine and then worry about the WOT runs that burn the pistons down.
    When you get to that second tank and you take a WOT pass, perform a plug chop and see where you are.
    Makes a lot of sense, I guess best to be rich then lean.

Thread Information