Exhaust manifold & S/C belt removal

Is it possible to remove the exhaust manifold and/or the supercharger belt WITHOUT lifting or moving the engine?? The service manual says the engine has to be moved to do both. Is there an easier way to do this? I don't see what type of socket or tool could be used to remove the manifold bolts though. I tried a universal joint on a socket that also had joints but this didn't work.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    yes and yes.

Look in recal sticky attachments for "the trick" to remove SC belt. Also, look in GIO threads for manifold removal. Search "offset" since you will need an ofset wrench to make life easy on you.

+1
    You will not have to jack up the engine to remove the exhaust manifold. You'll need an offset wrench to remove some of the bolts. A swivel head flat ratchet also comes in very handy to remove some of the bolts. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but i think you do have to slide the engine forward slightly to disengage the output shaft so the belt can be replaced.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but i think you do have to slide the engine forward slightly to disengage the output shaft so the belt can be replaced.

Check the ktech article. in the sticky thread up top. Saves a bunch of time. No need to mess with engine. Manual needs updating.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    Check the ktech article. in the sticky thread up top. Saves a bunch of time. No need to mess with engine. Manual needs updating.
    ES,
    I looked at the article. You do have to remove the motor mount bolts and slightly slide the engine forward to disengage the output shaft. The belt slides between the gap you get in the coupler from moving the engine forward.

Thanks guys! I found the info you mentioned which explains it pretty well. So to summerize:
    - Need offset box wrentch to remove manifold bolts. No need to remove or lift engine.
    - Need to remove engine mounting bolts and slide engine forward to remove S/C belt.

Thanks again

just another question, owners manual says check at 100 hours, what about replacing belt? I know some of people on this board have chaned belts already, I have almost 120 hours on my boat and I have experienced some slipage on initial startup in the water after I pass the no wake zone. Should I change belt or just tighten tensioner? After the initial slip she runs fine.

+1
    i would just tighten it and get some more hours out of it. i had mine til about 200 hours. they are cheap but i think tightening it a bit would give you proper boost levels for some more hours.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hilomikey View Post
    just another question, owners manual says check at 100 hours, what about replacing belt? I know some of people on this board have chaned belts already, I have almost 120 hours on my boat and I have experienced some slipage on initial startup in the water after I pass the no wake zone. Should I change belt or just tighten tensioner? After the initial slip she runs fine.
    The reason I changed mine was that at the 100 hour service, there was a slight crack at the seam and a lil chunk was missing on the outside of the belt.Have a look at my project thread, theres pics of it there.

Thread Information