+1

To Be or Not to Be... GPRXP?

My wife has given me a "kitchen pass" to buy an RXP-X, but I have this here GPR that looks far more interesting. Decisions, decisions... I'd love to have one done by Mudbug, but I'm working on another conversion that MUST be ready for this year's shin-dig. From the posts I've read, it looks quite possible to have a GPRXP done in time. A lot of trailblazing has been done which should shorten the turn-around time - and I'm liking that!

What I have:
    • 2001 GP1200R slightly modded. Hull's in fair shape, but needs some TLC (will be flipp'n her soon). Everything's there, which means I've got a lot of stuff for Ebay - should help offset some of the cost.
    • MIG welder, drill press, lathe, band saw, belt sander, tons of power tools, lots of hammers, and access to a decent machine shop.
    What I don't got:
    • Anything RXP related. I've not spent a lot of time under the seat of the 4-Tecs, so it's new territory for me.
    • A lot of free time (remember I've got one in the oven, so to speak)
    I think I'd enjoy the challenge, I'm certainly up for a new one, and it'd be a learning experience - always a good thing.
    Soooo, RXP-X or GPRXP? Some sober (or not) thoughts on the choices, please.

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    i will sell you mine. pm me if interested

+1
    IMO it totally depends on your goals and what you want ... until this year the GPRXPs were the fastest, most reliable high speed custom ski. But this year there are so many new things out for the RXP that the '10 mph reason' for doing a conversion has dropped to more like 5 mph, maybe less. Two items are the setback pump (2 mph) and modded rideplate with skegs (2 mph). Still up in the air is the new RR pump which might add more speed too, then the Solas 15/22 4 blade, etc. I think we will also see some other interesting mods related to pump efficiency, intake grate and pump shoe that could add some speed as well. So, are you interested in top speed, one person ski? Then the GPRXP is likely still hard to beat ... but if you like to be able to carry a passenger and go fast with less work, the RXPs are finally getting some good speed parts and will post some very good numbers this year.

dont buy a x model. just buy a regular rxp. The stock x supercharger is smaller than a rude so you will have to modify anyways. It really depends on what you want. If you want a reliable cruiser that you can just slap some parts on easily and go 78-80 then just buy a rxp and slap a rude on it w/ supporting mods.

+1
    I say buy an "X" model and have fun with it for a year. Learn about the SD setup. During the summer/winter months, if you want more, do all the conversion work, over time and at your cost ability. The hull isn't costing you much just sitting around, and there are folks selling just the converted hulls for a whole bunch of money.

Once you get the X, you might not even care to go faster or quicker.

Unless you are just going to slap it together, your time is pretty short on getting it ready by June... and it sounds to me with your lack of SD knowledge, you would be better off taking your time.

+1
    All very good input. I appreciate the feedback. Up to this point I was leaning towards the GPRXP conversion - even with the time limitations for getting it ready for the 'Bug. That is not going to be the only reason for doing one, but I didn't want to show up and be jealous of the ones that made it.

What I'm really looking for is a high speed runabout that is lighter & more nimble than the typical RXP. My riding style, while not overly aggressive, leans towards the X4 & GSX size hulls. Unfortunately these can't hang with big dogs any more. I usually refer to the the RXP my friend rides as the "800 lb Gorilla", prefering my GSX-L/DI for its nimble handling & reliability. This is what draws me to the GPRXP. With its lighter SMC hull it seems like it would be more fun to ride than the RXP. That being said, I've always liked the RXP styling, storage, & fitment better. Personal opinion, yes, but the X is a damned perty ski. However, after shelling out $11K-$12K I'd be strapped for any upgrades for a long time. I really do want a 75-80 mph ski and the GPRXP looks like an interesting and more economical way to get there, plus I get the benefit of building it myself (with help from the willing board members, of course).

Then there's modding an RXP. None of the benefits I mentioned above, but then again, it can be made to go the speed I want - for an additional $6-$7K.

More thoughts?

+1
    Well I guess it's "Not to be". I've decided to focus my attention on finishing my current conversion/hybrid and get a couple of other project skis out of mothballs. I'll probably do a GPR conversion this summer or fall, but I don't know if I'll use a 4-Tec.

Thanks to all for the input, it was very helpful in making the decision.

Thread Information