Thread: 93 v 89 fuel

Lightbulb 93 v 89 fuel

ok i want to see who agrees with me and i have read countless times and even asked gas station owners how often they get shipments of fuel in of each grade and my thoughts are save your money and run 89 the mid grade has just as much if not more octain as the hightes 93 why its simple no body buys it the fuel stays in the ground much longer then 87 or 89 because its costly and no one runs it i know several lace around here that have told me the go through around 4-6 truck loads of 87 and 89 every 4-6 months so the fuel is fresh every month yet the 93 they have told me they only need 1 truck load like every 4 months and course thats killing the gas the keep chemicals at the planets to keep octaine lvls up but after it gets shipped out it starts loosing

but im just puttin my 2 cents in on this and saying save that extra change it does add up specially when your just wasting it on something thats no better

+1
    When I went in search of 93 octane fuel here all I could locate was 91. When I started talking to the fuel delivery drivers they told me that they basically haul 2 different types of gas here local, the 87 and 91. But yet on most of the pumps here you have your choice of 87,88,89,90 and 91 octane
    He stated that if you buy the 89 octane that you get the 87 gas with a mix of the 91 octane to raise the octane level to 89. Anyhow I had better ideas for this summers boost but instead I can have my choice of the 5 octane levels between 87 and 91.
    The same driver also advised that the same location has sold in excess of 35,000 gallons of 87 in less than 24 hours and that the 91 octane usually lasts 5-6 days.

crap i dont know hy i as y3 every where i ment 91 haha

+1
    Most new gas stations mix the gas at the pump to get 89 octane. It saves them the hassle of dealing with a third UST and logistic issues.

So if you buy from a new gas station you will be gettin older 91 or 93, but the good thing is you will be using more high octane so it wont be so old.

1 truckload of fuel per month?

The gas stations around here go through that in a couple of days.

I've always been told the mid grade is a mix of the high and low stuff. I wonder, do they get mixed at the pump or is there a third tank in the ground that someone mixes 87 and 91 into?

yeah most of where i stop isnt that busy but im just talkin bout loosing octain over time

i cant comment on how long you servo keeps fuel, but where i am from we get 98oct straight from the bowser and when you get it tested its pretty accurate. i have heard that our 100 oct pump fuel wonders abit but i find it hard to beleive.

the more octaine the better.

Quote Originally Posted by wonka View Post
    the more octaine the better.
    Only if you have a way of effectively raising the octane ratio....ie force more air.

edit, I also couldn't find any info on how long fuel takes to spoil, or see if there is a formula of octane degradition over time.....best thing to do would run a little experiment, get a 5 gal jug and set it in your garage or outside and have the octane rating tested every x days or weeks. I would imagine in the cool ground (station tanks) out of the light and heat it would last a bit longer than in the elements.
    Last edited by Lurker; 03-11-2008 at 04:04 PM.

I believe they're mixing the regular and the premium at the pump to make the mid-grade. This way they're using the premium more than you would think and keeping it fresh. So your 89 is a mix of the 87 and the 91/93, thus the premium will always be higher octane than the 89. 89 is just not enough octane for my high compression 2 stroke with added timing and surely not enough for many of these boosted 4 strokes. When that motor detonates and your pistons look like shrapnel, just think about the pennies you saved buying that 89.
    Last edited by VOODOO; 03-11-2008 at 08:04 PM.

+1
    my buddy owns a gas station and tested their gas for octain levels...in texas they add 10% alcohol to the gas...the 93 tested 95 and the mid grade tested 91 ....the alcohol must raise the octain a bit.

Thread Information