Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K38 Japan Trip

+1

K38 Japan Trip

K38 finally landed in Japan, what an amazing journey. I'll post some of my blog information I've been uploading, hope you enjoy!
    Arigato
    Shawn

F3000

Written by K38rescue ondocument.write(localTime('Mar 12, 2008 2:34 GMT')) Mar-11-08 7:34pm

F300 Pilot for Team 1 center, Simon Rogers L, Shawn Alladio R

Racing is racing, no matter how much horsepower, but racing on the water adds an element not easily translated for 'traction'. Virtually no braking makes reading the water at high speeds dangerous.

Team 1 racing pilot from the Yokohama boat show was a great personality. He gave an overview of his race boat, the safety features, jumped into the cockpit and showed us the removal of the cockpit, attaching the buoy float, removing of the steering wheel and release of the 4 point safety harness. These guys take a hard beating inside that small confined space they are driving from within.

The water conditions made it very dangerous for them to reach high speeds during the competition exhibition, a few times the chines began to walk as the gusts of wind complimented the shifting water.

I have always loved the sound of roaring engines, I was thankful there were no incidents as Simon and I had discussed our evactuation process and were ready for anything, rigging our own line system, our plan was on standby, but standby is good and so the risk passed. That's always a good thing.

These racing pilots were great people, what a sense of humor, always smiling, laughing and joking, I guess when you walk on the edge of life, you appreciate each moment with clarity. I concur.

+1
    The Eye of Pu'u

Written by K38rescue ondocument.write(localTime('Mar 11, 2008 23:51 GMT')) Mar-11-08 4:51pm

CHERRY BLOSSOMS and the Eye of Pu'u

I have never been to Japan, but in my imagination I had the postcard vision, trees in bloom with cherry blossoms, tranquil ponds with koi, rock gardens, bonsai, traditional respect for nature and a finite connection to timelessness. This is what I had as my own impression. I landed in Narita airport, and it felt like Los Angeles, too many people, working hard at the daily grind, concrete and buildings everywhere, a dismal winter sky overhead.

I had arrived to Japan to the modernization of the global western ideal, not the idyllic romantic image I had planted in my brain. But I was not disappointed. It is always like this, the lure of something different. Every place I travel to, I expect everything and receive reality.I had wanted to do several things on a personal level while here. I wanted to first visit a shrine or temple and pray and offer thanks for the creation of K38 Japan, to pay my respects to this cultural icon of warrior impressions I have built over study of many years through books. But books are flat.

I wanted to see Cherry Blossoms in bloom, see them fall softly from their lofty branches, cascade into my hair and stick like a soft rain, to smell crisp cold air. I did see Mount Fuji many miles away, a stoic icon of steady timeless life, dormant and waiting with a solid cap of white snow and ice, it loomed far away and reminded me that humans are quite insignificant when nature wakes up.I never got to see blossoms, as only the plum trees were waking up from winter, my timing was off.

There was no time available between nightly business dinners to see anything except, work, restraunt, hotel and all over again the next day. It didn't matter. There was plenty to find from nature all around. A little bird on a brilliant flower bloom, wind moving, sounds all isolated like stamped postcards in my mind.I travel with personal things to help me with the loneliness from missing what I love and hold dear.

My youngest daughter made me a painting on a very small canvas, yes the size of a postcard. The deep blue sky protected a brilliant flashing sun that gave life to the earth below. The colors of green and bold brown bent towards the fringe of water meets land, and an active ocean crept up onto the earth tones. It was a brilliant rhapsody of elements, perfectly scored. A bracelet she made out of tinsel wire with beads and her favoriate, paper cutouts, a small cut piece of 2 sided paper, colored green. All tucked into a zip lock bag, it was my amulet.

i'm sitting back, handed the class to the studnets, now the teacher rests and let the students teach, this is where I return as the process of instruction comes full circle. A contemplative moment David connected.

On my computer thousands of pictures sleep, all from classes, repeate ghosts of training disciplines. Then I have the files I return to that help ground me in spirit. My friend David Pu'u is of course a photographer. Before I left for Japan he sent me an image of wave he captured.

David sees life with deep soul and spirit connection. It comes from the light and dark balanced and he understands that steadiness. Color is a vital landscape, it creates vigor, vitality and imagination comes alive. It is the color of love spelled in splashes of an unknown language we all understand and are drawn towards. In my Maris presentation at the Yokohama boat show I inserted this picture David sent. It had nothing to do with my presentation per se, but it had everything to do with living life.

This fluid colored wave picture became my muse, it was a subliminal plant for the viewers and for me. It was a reminder of what is really the most important chapter of our life. Movement.

Pu'u picture of me training students in Morro Bay, energies opposing each other but working in unison, movement, seconds and feet.

The spirit of our lives connected to our Mother Ocean. David's pictures capture soul, he sees the fluid connection between reality and spirit. I understand his language and I'm always looking for it wherever I travel. I saw it in the glass of water as I observed how silky Japanese water was compared to home, how their health was different than Americans, how they adjusted food for the body, whereas back home, there was no discipline or respect like I witnessed here, it changed my impression of food to body need and balance.

David frames the movement of training as I return to the students, inspired by working with others to further better our world.

Live Well and do not forget to take the time needed to see the Cherry Blossoms, or feel the wind, the bite of cold, the sting of a brilliant ray of sun, do not forget to tell those you care about how much you love them.

Life is movement. We are born, we begin, we live, we learn, we die, we are completed, let your ending be well earned.

Shawn

+1
    K38 Japan Presentation at the Yokohama Boat Show

The Marine Sports Foundation invited me to participate at the Yokohama International Boat Show with a stage presentation on my professional development. Basically I told a brief story about my personal history and how I became involved with PWC rescues and boater education.

Coming to Japan was a lifelong dream of mine, since a young girl I have wanted to travel to this magical island, to visit the symbolic lands I hold dear from my uncle Byron Quivey's inspiration as my sinsei in Shoto Kai Karate.

My presentation was on Sunday the 9th, the day prior I was also invited to give an industry presentation at the show during their safety meeting. It was a great honor to be able to attend and speak.

I was fortunate to have Simon Rogers, who is also one of our lead instructors to help me with the translation of all the content materials. We provided a slide show of images from my working history, and included photos from our training a few days earlier in Japan, and ended with a few movie clips of student training.

I would say this was definetly a career highlight for me both personally and professionally. Dreams do come true, but not everyone's dreams are from the same reality. I am looking forward to working with Maris for the future of boating education throughout the Asian region.

+1
    Super Freestyle Show At Yokohama International Boat Show

Written by K38rescue ondocument.write(localTime('Mar 11, 2008 13:36 GMT')) Mar-11-08 6:36am
    Fumikazu Watanabe attended the Yokohama Boat Show Freestyle as one of the team members in the 'Super Freestyle Show' along with team mates Fujiawa and Muroo. The shows were performed under blue skies with intermittent wind, as the waves refracted off the jetty wall the water was pretty agitated, but didn't shake the freestyle performances one bit.

Saturday and Sunday the throngs of spectators sat waterside at the amphitheater style setting, with a Japanese Coast Guard helicopter rescue demonstration, PWC racing and F-3000 high powered race boats, wakeboard and water rescue demonstrations.

Watanabe the current reigning World Champion Freestylist was clearly a crowd favorite pulling off multiple 360's, barrel rolls and assorted waterborne tricks. I was tired just watching the constant array of aerials from the guys on the water. They were surely the crowd favorites, as families came out to enjoy the presentation by the JJSF and hosted by Maris.

These kind of events are really great to watch. I was really impressed with the organization of the event, and the spectator attendance was incredible, but best of all, watching these guys strut their stuff on water, it's hard to resist a freestyle event.

-Shawn Alladio

Watanabe completes the lineup during introductions

Event athletes take the podium for their introductions before the huge crowd

Reigning Champ Watanabe takes a bow

+1
    Bun Freestyle Booth at the Yokohama Boat Show

Written by K38rescue ondocument.write(localTime('Mar 11, 2008 12:48 GMT')) Mar-11-08 5:48am
    Bun Freestyle @ YBS 2008
    Bun Freestyle had a booth at the Yokohama Boat Show, showcasing all thier recent products. Mr. Watanabe has virtually created his own freestyle machine with very high quality product development. I looked through the case displays as he guided me to explain through an interpreter what his company has been doing. I was pretty impressed.

The crank cases, casings, cylinders, all lined up with carb's, handlepoles that rock the nation, and custom designed hulls......it was Heaven on Water. Fumikazu is not only a gifted athlete, I think he's also a genius.

His products are precision driven, he said he has 23 riders now for Bun Freestyle, when the word gets out on his 'hot stuff', I think we'll all be a little surprised at what else will come out of his thought process to execution on the water.

When I watched him at World Finals in 2007, I was working on the water doing the course marshal direction. What I saw was a man who observed his surroundings and paid attention to the natural movement of nature, he's very down to earth. I can imagine with his thought process that he's thinking towards the future.
    -Shawn Alladio

The Bun Freestyle Groupies

What else? Talking about World Finals 2008 with Chibi and FW!

+1
    Chibi Yuki: Yokohama Boat Show

Written by K38rescue ondocument.write(localTime('Mar 11, 2008 13:00 GMT')) Mar-11-08 6:00am

CHIBI YUKI and Hellwoman

Well, Well, what a small world it is!

A cute pixie of a gal comes up to me at the Maris booth at the Yokohama Boat Show, and she is speaking pretty good English, which is really an advantage for me!

She says to me, 'I wanted to talk to you to thank you..I was the racer in the women's division at the World Finals last year.......' her voice trails off. I instantly recognize her, as I imagine a helmet surrounding her face. I usually can't tell racers apart unless they are wearing their competition helmet!

There was an accident and she had to be rescued, I remember it very well, the exact sequence and buoy turn itself, like rewinding a slow motion movie. I was crying myself at the boathouse when we dropped her off for the ambulance. It's tough sometimes to bear witness to the pain of others, and being a racer myself I really truly understand.

Here I was months later in her country, in Japan and we were laughing at a boat show of all things, what a great day it was to become as we kicked off a new friendship!

Chibi Yuki is a woman with a truly great personality, full of laughter and vivascious, but tenascious when needed, I do admire her. We talked for a bit and then the show demands called us apart. i returned later to find a poster from her resting on my luggage. Now I had to find her so I could get it signed to frame at my office. I had earlier tracked down Bun Freestyle master Fumikazu Watanabe to get a autographed poster from him as well, but now I had to find Chibi.

Not too hard to do! She was over at the Bun Freestyle booth with her younger brother and the cutest little puppy. I got my autograph and we snapped a few pictures and made plans for World Finals at Lake Havasu in Arizona. Even though the racing is very demanding and my work is literally Hell @ Worlds, I think we can pull of an International gathering for Liquid Militia and K38 one night to keep the stoke alive. Now that will be a truly amazing gathering of incredible personalities, I can't wait!

Stay tuned, it will be here before we know it!

トークショーに来ていただいた皆様、応援ありがとうございました。
    これからも見ててくださいねん。
    ということで…
    私のトークショーが無事終わって、
    今日はレスキューの講演があるということで楽しみにしていたのは
    レスキュー界では有名なショーンさんとの再会。
    再開といっても昨年のIJSBAで私がレスキューされたとき
    任務についてられた方で、同じレスキュー活動をする私にとっては憧れの人物。

めっちゃ温かく迎えてくれました!!
    アメリカンブログ
    こんな記事まで書いてくれてます。

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/chibi-yuki/

+1
    Island to Island

Written by K38rescue ondocument.write(localTime('Mar 12, 2008 1:22 GMT')) Mar-11-08 6:22pm

John, center

John San Nicolas traveled to Japan for instructor training, student training and in attendance of the Yokohama Boat Show. The travel schedule was hectic, and the weather change from warm tropical climate to the biting winter of a Pacific northern ocean cast a spell of colds that fell to many.

John wore a winter drysuit, which is a big difference from the warm tropical waters where only a pair of duty shorts are necessary. Working with a lot of different types of gear gives one valuable lessons in mindset and physical conditioning necessary to compliment the cold waters and wind chill effect, but a drysuit sure minimalizes any discomfort. John is getting accustomed to cold, having recently returned from k38 winter training grounds in Morro Bay, California, it was a repeat of real world conditions for real world concerns.

John met a lot of new friends, as it seems that the island of Japan is interested in other islands as well, and Guam is a favorite destination, with only 3 hours of flight separating the regions. With the formation of K38 Japan, the association will further help spread the message about these unique small boats and the expanding service zone of operations to better serve the worlds needs for lifesaving boater education.

+1
    SAYONARA Japan!

Written by K38rescue ondocument.write(localTime('Mar 11, 2008 14:43 GMT')) Mar-11-08 7:43am

Goodbye Japan!

It was hard to leave, since it was so much fun, well actually, it was really hard work, I was exhausted. Or maybe I was exhausted from all the good times? Could be....I was able to get caught up on expanding friendships which meant a lot to me. The weather was good old winter at it's mildest I think, it was lovely. The rain, the biting wind, the somber tone of the land, but those winds would sure blow, i would breathe deeply to take in the soul of Japan all around me.

Words blurred, until I was finally able to find individual words strung from sentences, the language fascinates me, but not as much as the written words in character. I love the faces of the people, stoic, strong and resilient. I only wish I could have spoken myself what was on my mind at the time.

I was able to get my autographed poster from Chibi Yuki, a professional female PWC racer, I had serendipously met on the race course, in fact on the rescue board unforunately. She's really a cool spirit.

How can I forget the bubbly Simon, my faithful language translator and instructor, and the ever organized Yoshi, the practical Kazu (our Elvis), and my Saito Sinsei, the Hot Products Guru. His wonderful wife made me a pottery bowl, and sent home a gift basket of green tea, cup and teacup, which made me cry, not only for it's sheer beauty, but her hands toned the mud and she painted it, that is such a lovely thing to do for me, I will cherish it. When I brought it home, my daughter Kyla was also deeply touched. We shall have tea!

Bun Freestyle, yep I got my autograph from Watanabe. I was practicing how to say his name over and over again. He's quite the designer or should I say engineer? Well actually he's the World Champion freestylist and he'll reign until October of this year. He looked stellar in a suit that matched his stainless products in the Bun Freestyle booth, this year at worlds it should be a lot of fun when we all hook up again for the grueling week long event.

Pic I took of Watanabe last year when I saw him at Worlds, little did I know that in 24 hours he would take the center stage for first place at the podium finish. Maybe he was looking to the future in this moment I captured, I wonder...

THE BOYZ.....Yugi, Eigi, Simon the Bard, and Kazu 'Evel Kneivel'....I am going to miss these guys, they are the best of people. Y and E were great students to work with, and I'm sure I'll see more of them in the future, or hear good things about them. As for Simon and Kazu....well...................timeless friends, we will pick up where we left off and nothing will change in between.

The illustrious John San Nicolas who heads up K38 Micronesia, had the good mis -fortune to be an observer at this event, which is pretty boring I'm sure when one doesn't speak the language and there isn't much to do, but true to character, no complaints, good spirit, and stayed the course. All with a bad cold, it must be hard to live in paradise and exit into a real winter blues....and still stay stokked. See you soon JSN and thanks for all the good spirit and support!

The Yokohama Boat Show is over...we're off the Hard Rock Cafe for our last Supper and autoraph sesh with biz....tomorrow a plane ride home, two days of recovery for sure and sorting through the trip of a lifetime. Shakespeare said that parting is such sweet sorrow. no matter where I travel, the essence of where I had tread becomes a thread in the fabric of my soul.....

+1
    K38 Japan-First Training Course

Written by K38rescue ondocument.write(localTime('Mar 12, 2008 9:13 GMT')) Mar-12-08 2:13am

K38 provides Rescue Water Craft Training with the Support of the Marine Sports Foundation

MARIS Suported Training
    Thank you Marine Sports Foundation!

The K38 Way of Training was on it's inagural launch in Japan. 2008 shows promise as students registered to take the 3 day training course, with less than favorable weather conditions. True to the Japanese spirit, not one student complained about the cold, all were focused and patient with the language translations.

Pisu picks up Shawn in Training Drill

The inagural training program was a success based off of the student participation and with support from Maris. Bombardier supported the training program with Sea Doo's for our training boats. The program focused on technical handling skills, which is easier said than actually done.

K38 Students PIsu and Kazu sandwiched Shawn after last day of class

Students took notes, watched training movies, an enjoyed group lectures that focused on successful use of the RWC for technical applications in field work. Confined spaces and tight quarters manuevering challenged their ability and familiarity with the craft. Rescue Boards were used on the 3rd and final day of training.

Simon Rogers translates for Shawn to Class

Students role played as rescuers, operators and patients throughout various skill building sets that allowed them to first become accomplished with their slow speed operations. As their comfort level rose, the skill sets increased. I really enjoyed being in group with this class, they were great people to work with and we shared a lot of humor despite that there was a significant language barrier.

Lifesaving is an international Language!

K38 Students on Recovery Drill

I want to personally thank Maris, the K38 Instructors, Simon Rogers for his difficult task of not only translation but teaching, and the students for having the desire to continue with their boating education.

Simon and Shawn on RWC Pre and Post Operations Check

K38 Japan Rescue Board Drill Sets

Class is over, 6:15pm. Hellwoman is off duty!

+1
    HOT PRODUCTS

Written by K38rescue ondocument.write(localTime('Mar 12, 2008 8:45 GMT')) Mar-12-08 1:45am

Mr. Saito and Shawn Alladio in front of Hot Products Booth

HOT HOT HOT!

Mr. Saito has been an industry icon for over two decades, along with his brother Scott, Hot Products has been a stable mainstain of the PWC recreational industry, for the pursuit of happiness and horsepower! If you know anything about the PWC industry, then you know the Hot Products catalogue and product line looks for the best quality products offered in the market, ask me how I know?

This time Saito was not only a colleague, but a student, earning himself a K38 Japan instructor level status, with a strong desire to help those in need, we instantly clicked. With his business savvy and congenial ways, he easily sees layers of design for success, that is backed with his established work ethic, a proven and tested foundation.

Saito San, Shawn and Yoshi

I prefer to call him Saito Sinsei, for he is my friend as well. Saito came to America in 2007 to begin his instructor level status. I hope to meet him in Havasu if he returns to World Finals this year. If not, we meet again in Okinawa next month. The world is big, but not big enough to change it. K38 Japan along with Maris will expand even further the message of the Rescue Water Craft (RWC), and Saito is going to help. It takes a team, as the saying goes from my friend Shawn Workman, 'One is None'.

Together we can make a difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information