Exhaust Overheat

I posted this in another thread I am not sure if it was the right spot for it. So I am going to repost here, sorry mods if this is the wrong place as well.

I am having a wierd problem with my 2006 RXT. If I am doing donuts, figure 8's, 180's, 360's (well almost 360's) basically just screwing around riding hard my exhaust overheat warning comes up on the display and beeps really loud. I have found that if I just idle in a straight line for a 30 seconds or so all returns to normal. What makes this weird is it ONLY happens when I am riding. Example a buddy of mine that I think can ride the machine just as hard or harder in these types of manuvers CANNOT get it to throw the code at all, We have tried to get him to duplicate it but it just wont happen. Is it possible that my weight has something to do with it? Possibly the weight distrubution when I am riding doesnt allow the water intake for the exhaust to pull in water during these types of manuvers? I am 6'2 250, athletic build. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Matt...

Nothing to worry about. You have it right, its all those 360's and such, not enough water is going through the exhaust. Now if it happens in a straight line you have an issue.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRXTFF View Post
    I posted this in another thread I am not sure if it was the right spot for it. So I am going to repost here, sorry mods if this is the wrong place as well.

I am having a wierd problem with my 2006 RXT. If I am doing donuts, figure 8's, 180's, 360's (well almost 360's) basically just screwing around riding hard my exhaust overheat warning comes up on the display and beeps really loud. I have found that if I just idle in a straight line for a 30 seconds or so all returns to normal. What makes this weird is it ONLY happens when I am riding. Example a buddy of mine that I think can ride the machine just as hard or harder in these types of manuvers CANNOT get it to throw the code at all, We have tried to get him to duplicate it but it just wont happen. Is it possible that my weight has something to do with it? Possibly the weight distrubution when I am riding doesnt allow the water intake for the exhaust to pull in water during these types of manuvers? I am 6'2 250, athletic build. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Matt...

No, it has nothing to do with your weight....it has to do with your riding style.

When you do figure 8's, 180's, etc, you break the ski free and cavitate...When you cavitate, you suck up air...This air interupts the flow of water through your cooling system (IC, manifold, waterbox).....This results in an AIR GAP in the cooling, but the motor is still cranking along, making heat....When this happens, any air turns to steam, and steam does not cool...When it does not cool, stuff gets hot, and the temp warning goes off......When you idle for 30 seconds, you are allowing a constant stream of water to cool the items, thus, the warning goes away...

My suggestion, limit the tricks to 1 or 2 at a time, with atleast 30-60 seconds in between....

Are there any changes to make the problem stop? I really like riding hard and doing tricks.

Banned User
    +1
    Are there any changes to make the problem stop? I really like riding hard and doing tricks.
    Yea, change your riding style SLIGHTLY......Do a few tricks, wait 30 seconds, do some more...

You can still ride hard and do tricks, but be aware that the more you suck air (motor revving and no movement), then you must give the ski a few extra seconds to get water back into its system BEFORE doing a few more tricks....

Kinda like when you use a hose thats been sitting for awhile, and you press the nozzle and it spurts air a few times before the water comes out constant....THATS whats happening.

+1
    Vegas, take your J pipe out and drill the three little holes out larger(not too much). That will let more water in the waterbox and will help with your hot exhaust issue, it wont completely fix it if you into doing lots of tricks but it will help keep more water in there on average

+1
    get a smaller two stroke model

i have an RXP and ride like that sometimes, never had an issue like this though. Even when it was stock, and since then i have drilled the holes out on the j-pipe to as large as i could without hitting the polished part of it. Doing this also allows water to flow faster through the IC and exhaust system.

Keeping the outside cooler water exiting faster helps keep cooler water come in faster to keep the IC cool at all times, IMO that is.

+1
    aftermarket intake grate???
    a little more water forces into the intake at all times,ight keep you hooked up feeding water more constantly.

Thread Information