Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1992 650 dead

1992 650 dead

Hi guys. I gotta 650 I got for trade, and the middle cylinder was a bit scuffed. I buffed it out, threw it back together, and tried to fire it up. It ran for two or three seconds, then cylinder by cylinder shut down. I can't get any spark, so I pulled the motor. I tested the stator, seems fine. My guess is the CDI. Any you guys can help? Maybe I just aquired myself a nice place to put flowers.

+1
    Hey Blake welcome to the Hulk,

Post pics and give us a little more info.

Did the piston look damaged? How do the other cylinders look if you popped the heads. Compression?

Welcome to the Green Hulk!!

Have you done a compression check?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Blake. Are you sure the battery is good? Make sure the battery connections are solid. Check the ground connection on the engine plate for corrosion or loose. Test the coils with an ohmeter if the stator tests good. There's no way to test a CDI, so you eliminate all other possibilities before you replace the CDI.

This forum has given me alot to look at, thanks alot guys. My compression is 125 on the front and back cylinders and the middle one that was scuffed is at 120. I pulled it apart, used a little muratic acid to clean up the walls, honed it, loosend up the rings, and that's it. I wanted to get it running before I go into this thing any futher. I don't know what the other cylinders look like, with compression like that should I still be concerned? I tested the CDI. The altenator,exiter,pulser,and trigger coil seem to be fine. Primary winding and secondary winding test, I didn't do, didn't find the right wires. The battery and it's conections I haven't done, and the kill switch check also. I'll let you know. Great info guys.
    Last edited by blake; 03-18-2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: mixed up the jugs

Welcome to the HULK!!!!!! That differance in compression is nothing to worry about.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    How did you check the CDI?

I used an Ohm meter and tested the wire combinations according to the manual. I tested the wires from the electrical box. One more concern, I think this ski spent some time submerged, when I got it, the engine had some water in it, and the hull was slimmy.

You can't test a CDI! you can test the stator , you may need to pull the stator cover and see what condition everything is in? I have a good stator and cdi if it gets to that point Z

Oh crud! tell me the engine didn't have some water in it? I just read that tid bit in your post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information