Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Catlina from San Pedro - Sunday, March 30th

Making the trip with a bunch of friends. Scheduled to depart @ 0800. The more the merrier. Hope to see you there.

+1
    Me & my cousin are in!

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    Me & my cousin are in!
    Gonna be a blast. We'll have a nice caravan of vehicles and skis headed down there.

+1
    is this still on?
    Pinoy are you in for a perris run in the morning this saturday (tomorrow)?

Hey Jim,

STILL ON!!!!!!!!! 10 confirmed going with you and your cousin on the list. CONVOY going to Cabrillo beach from the I.E. leaving @ 530AM meeting up in San Pedro for breakfast @ 7AM. We can meet up with you on the 60, 91, 15 or wherever you want.

Saturday would've been great, just not able to this weekend. I literally am right by the lake though, so anytime you feel like riding I'm in. I'll call you if our plans change.

Still going. 1 more day and a wake up. Hope to see you all out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    Me & my cousin are in!
    Jim, are you gonna bring that fancy bullet cam with ya??

+1
    Hooopaaa!!

I had a blast today!
    We'll have to do it again soon!! I have 22 clips from today but the 1st 16 were crappy....

I need a new bullet cam.. I'll get one in a week or so.
    I'll post the clips including the crappy one's in a few hrs.

Offshore OceanRider
    +1

Cabrillo to Avalon or “The Perfect Storm Article”

Subject: Cabrillo to Avalon or “The Perfect Storm Article”

One must see Hollywood movie that accurately portrays or captures a true boating fishing experience is “The Perfect Storm”. One lesson learned that I took away from this movie is that if I ever owned a sword fishing boat; I would make sure that my marine weather fax would never, ever run out of paper as it did on the pivotal scene in which the Gloucester, MA sword fishing boat, the Andrea Gail, missed probably the last chance it had of getting home safely. Why – because the skipper was stubborn; he refused to listen to the weather conditions.

Three PWC racers from pwcoffshore.com today became our weather fax as our group of PWC riders headed out this morning from the Cabrillo launch ramp to Avalon. Fate and maybe a cell phone call or two caused our two groups to merge a short distance out from the entrance to LA Harbor; better known as Angels Gate. Our group included a total of twelve (12) PWC’s some local and some far away from places like Lake Perris, CA.

Some in the group were more prepared than others for this mornings ride but, after a few miles of getting beat up by the short-chopped two to four foot seas, intermixed with a wicked swell, the ocean was hell bent on beating all of us all the way to Avalon. It did not matter how prepared or race ready you were today – you were in for a beating. Our exceptionally “large group” was just looking for a good time with no money riding on this trip, except for the experience to be gained; as many in the group had never seen Catalina Island up close and personal, via a personal watercraft.

The pwcoffshore.com racers that we ran into this morning were only going out for a training run. After the second or third stop along the way to Avalon a quick meeting was held. It went something like this. “This sucks” “Yeah it does” “I don’t want to beat up my race ready ski in these conditions” “Me neither” And so it was Mother Nature 1 - and so Avalon will have to wait.

The yet to catch up rest of the skiers quickly got the word that we were turning around and for a moment you could see the sky part. A warm beam of sunlight quickly opened up from the sky above; as if to say; your prayers are answered – Lake Riders. It actually wasn’t quite that bad. The entire group could’ve made it; just not as fast as we would’ve liked and it just would’ve taken a very long, long, time.

I just got up from a nap to write this article after coming home to clean up my ski and gear. That riding today also beat the hell out of me. After the aborted Avalon ride our group headed offshore to Long Beach taking the last punches from mother nature before heading inshore. From there we visited areas inside the breakwater in and around the Queen Mary and oil rig islands.

Then the sun started to come out and offshore didn’t quite look that bad. So it was offshore to visit up close and personal an oil rig. Then back inside to Queens Gate (Long Beach entrance) then for some racing inside the breakwater. Then we found a sweet quiet cove like place and began to race each other. Then we headed offshore and took the swells head on as we headed from Long Beach to LA. Then inside the break water for some more racing; then my low fuel alarm sounded. That’s when Dubz1 and I headed back to the launch ramp. The rest of the group soon followed. Only there was no stopping these Lake Perris guys. They wanted to go (fuel themselves) and head back out again.

Here is the group as best as I can recall. Whomever I missed I apologize. Most importantly, our thanks to the pros for making the right call today. Training and experience does count. Those of you reading this whose name is missing below or if you know the names of the pwcoffshore.com racers who made the great call today please add their names below.

DubZ1; Trawlercat; Water Deamon; Robert; Ken (KenDog); Ken (Jai) Omar; Jim (Bofadeez); Steve and Don.

Hope you made some good memories today – I sure did.

Bobby Shatford: Hey, you promised me a ****load of fish!

Captain Billy Tyne: You'll get a ****load of fish. I've gone out before and motored back with so much stock little boys like you had to pack it on the pier. I always find the fish, always! And I will this time. So don't fxxk with me!

Great write up partner! It was pretty darn wicked out there today. I agree with turning around, it would have only gotten worse, and IMO, no need to prove anything on this day. We still had a blast, and I believe Pinoy and his group had a good time as well (I hope they did). We can do it another time, the island aint going anywhere. Now, all we need are pictures, and the video clips. Great meeting the 9 new guys from the IE...Hope to ride with you guys again in the ROUGH sees... Maybe Dana Point next time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information