Thumbs up Idle & speed problem solved! Finally!!

I finally figured out why my idle was high/erratic and my WOT boost was only 8 PSI and RPM's only 7200.

I checked all the usual suspects such as BOV/relief valves leaking, throttle body, leaking hoses/intercooler, etc. The posts below are links explaining the two problems I had and the things I tried.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36502
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38298

Well, I was getting ready to strip the intake manifold off and check the gaskets/seal when I noticed in the service manual that there was a drain plug for the intake manifold hidden away under the hoses on the front of the engine. So I first went to take out the drain plug to see if there was any oil/water collected. When I looked for the plug I couldn't find it and only saw what looked like a threaded hole. Since the hole was hard to access I got a small screwdriver and sure enough the screwdriver went right into the intake manifold. The drain plug was either never installed or came loose and left a 1/4" hole in my intake manifold.
    This explains why the stepper motor couldn't control my idle and also why I was only getting 8 PSI of boost and 7200 RPM.

Just wanted to share this info so that others can check to ensure this drain plug doesn't come loose and somthing else to check if you are having low boost and idle problems.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Congrats on the find!!!

great info . that's why this site is so awsome

KMan, congrats! Did you have the idle and boost problems from day one or did they start after several hours of use?

I noticed the idle was high on the trailer the day I picked the machine up but I didn't think much of it. I'm not sure if I was getting the proper boost and RPM from the start because I spent the first few hours trying to break in the machine and didn't really try it or notice. I originally thought the speed was OK because 70mph was recorded on the gauge but I later realized that this top speed can occur from a blip on the speed sensor paddle wheel. Since I can't find the bolt in the bottom of the hull, I'm assuming it was never installed.

For anyone who's had their motor out, is the bottom of the hull smooth from front to back under the motor or are their crossbraces or other bumps/grooves that would cause the bolt to get "hung up" under the motor? I really don't want to leave the bolt in the bottom of the hull assuming it's in there.

contact your dealer and possibly take it to them to let them inspect it in case missing bolt/plug shows up somewhere later and causes damage or even has already caused damage.

Thread Information