Thread: Heard of this?

+1

Heard of this?

2007 FX 140 HI-output #3 piston is throwing, the piston seized and the valve slammed down into it, since the piston couldn't give it went metal to metal....the valve basically just impaled itself...
    I've heard of 2 others that have locked like this and melted together..anyone else?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn alladio View Post
    2007 FX 140 HI-output #3 piston is throwing, the piston seized and the valve slammed down into it, since the piston couldn't give it went metal to metal....the valve basically just impaled itself...
    I've heard of 2 others that have locked like this and melted together..anyone else?
    i would think it would be more likely to be the valve sticking
    i have seen this on bikes
    first hit bends the valve then it wont close and either brakes or impales it self

if it is the piston seizing you have to find out why
    no oil or wrong clearance

i did hear the 06 140's had an oil pump failure at about 400 hours
    that could cause it

kev

+1
    Thanks Kev...I appreciate it a lot.
    Shawn

+1
    Heard of a FXHO (160) with a manufacturing fault in one of the cylinder linings, 07 model october last year. At 6 hours oil consumption went crazy at which point owner took it straight back to the dealers.

After initially wanting to rebuild engine (£5000/$10000 of work), Yamaha UK replaced with 2008 model, restoring owners faith in product & Yamaha!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    Heard of a FXHO (160) with a manufacturing fault in one of the cylinder linings, 07 model october last year. At 6 hours oil consumption went crazy at which point owner took it straight back to the dealers.

After initially wanting to rebuild engine (£5000/$10000 of work), Yamaha UK replaced with 2008 model, restoring owners faith in product & Yamaha!

Yeah this is what happened, about about 10 hours..the warranty is replaced the entire engine...

+1
    Apparently there was a problem with the cylinder lining procedure in the factory affecting a batch of motors. Shawn you mention an FX 140 HO which does'nt exist. If it was a 160 then it's possibly the same problem although I do'nt know if motors from the same batch would go into skis for different markets?

Cylinders 1&4 were effected on the ski I know off, (way down on compression) but did not sieze due to oil consumption being noticed in time.

+1
    Our FXHO had 30 hrs. but from the information provided by servicing is that they were not sure what caused the failure...factory replaced the engine without question....still a great ride. Our 2007 FX HI-Output had 30 hrs. on it when it seized...it was definitely the the piston that went followed by the valve imbedding itself into the head of the piston...service had the engine replaced in a week with a new one...of note is that they are not sure what is causing the failure as of this moment (at least here in Hawai'i)

I belive the Yamaha has a good track record and stand by the product, nevertheless we make sure to keep to the maintenance schedule and records, and would advise everyone else to do the same...
    Here is a picture of it our training ski...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of KUKIO 048.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	62539  

Thread Information