Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar

What to look for on a used ski??

I know quite a bit about the 2 strokes but nothing of the 4's with the S.C.'s. What do I need to look for that I will be able to see or feel with the super charger condition? Most of the ski's in my area are still in hybernation for the winter (MN) and will be unable to test ride till April or May (brrrrrr). I can check the ski over for cosmetic and pump issues etc. Tried to do a search, but found very little.

Thanks for you help guys and gals.

Tom <Mac Daddy Racing>

for the supercharger, either stick your fingers into the housing and try to spin the supercharger wheel. if you can't, then you are ok. if you can, ths supercharger is gone. or you can have the guy start up the ski and listen for the supercharger whirring. if you can hear it, then you are fine and vice versa. i know this is kinda obvious, but maybe ask the guy how he broke it in and if he flushed and/or fogged the engine every time after the ski came out of the water.

Sorry but I believe the supercharger issue is the other way around. If you can spin it then its fine if you cant then theres a problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanHaye View Post
    Sorry but I believe the supercharger issue is the other way around. If you can spin it then its fine if you cant then theres a problem.
    Sorry, but MaxMike is correct, it the impellar spins freely by hand the ceramic washers are gone, and are somewhere in the engine.

The Supercharger washer are used as a safety devise when the impellar is deaccerlating from WOT to idle. The rotational forces of the impeller want to keep the impeller spinning when deaccerlating, this causes slippage between the washers and the drive gear, which happens to be spinning slower than the impeller. When the washer are gone the impeller just spins freely because there is force being applied to the drive gear.

Aight thanks for correcting that. I thought it was the other way around.

Thanks for the info on the S.C. Any other issues to look at? As for the break in, I would assume that they're going to be like a polotician and tell you what you want to hear. Unless I know the ski, or it has a warrenty, I'll look it over very close. Just looking for other tips / tricks.

Thanks.
    Tom

+1
    If you could testride the ski would be great. This would be good to see if has any bad cavitation and to see what rpm,s the ski is running at WOT. From those 2 things you then would know alot about the condition of the SC and clutch, and the prop and pump including wear ring.
    just my .02 cents

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    If you could testride the ski would be great. This would be good to see if has any bad cavitation and to see what rpm,s the ski is running at WOT. From those 2 things you then would know alot about the condition of the SC and clutch, and the prop and pump including wear ring.
    just my .02 cents
    Lakes are all frozen. Test ride not an option unless I get them to let me take it to the Mississippi River, lots of debris this time of year.

+1
    Aside from the mechanical issues already talked about, I always like to look at the bottom of the hull. IMO that is a great indicator of how well the owner took care of the ski.

Agreed on the cosmetic issues. Although, my 97 GSX has some bumps and bruises from a sister in law that said the brakes are bad just before she hit the houseboat. Other than the soft spot on the nose, the ski is in great condition for the age.

Thread Information