Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Update on my sl900 progress

Hey guys!,

Sorry for being so scarce, with spring around the corner here in Ottawa, its getting pretty exciting to see whether the 900 will fire up .

Over the course of the winter I have had the crank rebuilt, honed the cylinders myself (the 3 original cylinders had to be replaced because they were out of spec and I didn't want to bore them). I installed the pistons and rings to spec, and today I put the flywheel back on. I did a test with the starter motor while it was in the engine and it turns over! I figured I would do a compression check while I was at it, and I got perfect on all 3 cylinders.

I also re-upholstered the seat with a very high quality vinyl ( I think its called all sport, but it turned out about as well as I could have done)

I also painted the rub rails black, as well as the seat handle, the black on red looks fantastic, compared to the purple...I also have new red hydroturf, and I painted the handle pad red since it was fading. For those interested, I used krylon fusion spray paint, and it seems to be doing well, but I'm sure any contact with a dock etc would rub it off. I will post pictures of my progress shortly. I used the torch trick for the sponsons also, and it came out great for those that were wondering if they should try it, just go nice and slow and dont get the flame staying in one spot too long.

Still on the to do list:

-Add an oil block off kit

-replace the original fuel line with tygon (some suggested mcmaster-carr, and believe it or not they said they can't ship to canada!, so now I am lost as to where I can find tygon... )

-I rebuilt the carbs but I still need the three screws that hold the needle valve bar to the jet block (the three I have are rusted out ) If anybody has spares it would be great if we could arrange something.

- engine install, alignment check, and timing!

I haven't been too active with advice on the forum this winter, but now that I have gone over almost every single part in a polaris, I think I will be able to offer more help! (I have been on this site every day learning!)

Will have pictures soon!

+1
    Don't you just love it when a plan starts coming together. Good luck , hope to see pictures soon.

whats the status on the slx ?

+1
    the slx needs a new stub shaft, spacers, and I already have the bearing rebuilt kit. I was going to get the shaft at Atlantic Jetsports but he said it could be up to 3 months until they receive new ones! Other than the jet pump rebuild, I need to some how get that broken piece of bolt out of the part of the pump that attaches to the hull. There is nothing to grip on to, so it is going to need to be drilled out and re-tapped.

Once that is done I will align it, and pray it is ok, this will be the 4th time this pump has been rebuilt! I can only hope the people did it wrong the past times.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    can you weld a nut to the broken piece and back it out?

+1
    no cigar,

it is almost flush with the housing, so drilling it out will be the only way, Ive already started and judging by how far I got this could take hours.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    wow that sucks, good luck

if its flush they can weld a nut on it and back it out , or your gonna have to get another bracket plate from old john'y or another member

im haveing problems with i think is the same one bolt hole it just wont go in for me

iv got another pump comeing soon ill snap the extension off mine line it up see what it will do ,

id hate to take my batwing i just silconed on there but if i must i must just to make sure ill get some room to work ,

iv though about changeing the grate to something else ,

but think if you wanna buy a bracket from somebody while im holding parts for ya cal
    Last edited by Bone1050; 03-20-2008 at 12:52 AM.

+1
    what about using a bolt extractor??

ehh the luck hes been haveing i dont think it would be that easy ,

id be more than happy to hold on to all your good while you shop for more parts cal ,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information