Yamaha Reliability Vs. Others

Hello. Just started looking at purchasing a PWC. Initially I was solely interested in the Sea-Doo RXT-X, but several dealers which sell both Sea-Doo and Yamaha suggested that I look at Yamaha based on reliability. The dealers admitted that Sea-Doo usually has a slight edge on performance, but they considered Yamaha a better value due to price and reliability.

I am interested in why others chose Yamaha instead of another brand.

The models I am considering are:

Yamaha FX SHO
    Yamaha FX SHO Cruiser (not sure of the difference between the two)
    Sea-Doo RXT-X

I plan on using the machine on the St. Mary's River in Upper Michigan which can get pretty choppy due to weather and freighter traffic. I want something stable that can handle larger swells and wakes.

Regarding trailers, is one just as good as the next when comparing Triton, Karavan, or R&R?

Thanks. Excellent Forum.

Toronto, Canada
    Welcome to the hulk, the only differance between the Yamaha SHO and SHO Cruiser is the colours and the cruiser has a different seat

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    north jersey
    That's a loaded question

Generally, yes the yammi is more reliable, BUT the SHO has a new engine, while the seadoo has a proven setup. Some may argue that these X boats are the most reliable engines ever offered by seadoo. . . And I'm a yamaha guy

Yammi on the other hand is world renowned with there engines. They have delayed the release of these SHO's for a few years already, and now it appears that they are recalling them before they are even sold in an effort to maintain there reputation.

Check this out

Thanks for the quick replies.

I figured it was a tough question since reading several posts on this forum and others.

The recall doesn't bother me too much since it shows they are willing to fix the problem.

I have a couple of dealers here in Michigan that sell both Sea-Doo and Yamaha. They probably can give me some more information.

I like the fact that the Yamaha uses regular unleaded rather than premium. It appears both skis are very good performers, but use slightly different technology to produce their results.

Thread Information