Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Installing the Rude RRFPR- ??? no fuel pressure

I've installed this on my '07 Speedster 150, and at the same time, changed back to the stock injectors. No matter how much I adjust it, I can't get the fuel pressure gauge to move off zero in the 2-second lanyard window. No fuel is leaking. I've tried plugging into the manifold, and unplugging. I do hear the sound of fuel filling the hoses going to the injectors. I eventually tried to crack her up, thinking the gauge might be broke, but the engine won't start. I know "jimjim" already has this working on a Speedster 200.

-Has anyone had the problem like this, of seeing no pressure?
    -What pressure did it jump to, the first time you plugged in the key?

I've attached the install pics, along with a picture of the stock regulator. The new regulator seems to not fit as tightly as the stock one... does it look like it's not positioned all the way down enough?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RRFPR 1.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	62588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RRFPR 2.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	62589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stock reg 2.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	546.3 KB 
ID:	62590  
    Last edited by VX1; 03-16-2008 at 08:49 PM.

+1
    my RRFPR was seeing about 20 psi without any adjustment. maybe yours is completely opened. To get to 60 psi you need to screw in the set bolt with allen key quite a ways in. in fact i had to go 80 % of the way in on the bolt to get to 60. maybe yours is completey all the way out and showing no pressure. hope that helps.

oh, as far as the tightness i thought the same thing or expected it to be really tight becuase of what the instructions indicate. but after riding last weekend no problem at all.
    Last edited by skoepp; 03-16-2008 at 08:36 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    maybe yours is completely opened. To get to 60 psi you need to screw in the set bolt with allen key quite a ways in. in fact i had to go 80 % of the way in on the bolt to get to 60. maybe yours is completey all the way out and showing no pressure. hope that helps.
    I agree. Please try this and let me know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1
    .. does it look like it's not positioned all the way down enough?
    If you got the strap down over it it's down far enough. From what i can tell in the pic its installed correctly.
    Last edited by Green Hulk; 03-16-2008 at 09:14 PM.

I've now gone through the entire range, half turns at a time, and not once did the gauge flinch.

The liquid in my gauge has a fairly significant bubble, just in case that could be an indicator.

When I plug in the lanyard, you can hear that something's going on, like the line is being pressurized. Everytime when I unplug the lanyard, one or two seconds later, there is a gurgling liquid sound coming from the area of the fuel rail. The injectors are in and secure with their clips and wiring on. I don't smell or see a gas leak anywhere.

+1
    Man i am not sure, maybe Jerry or someone with experience will chime in. My experience with liquid gauges is that they always have a air bubble in them. I am sure your guage is fine. Mine showed 20 psi at first putting lanyard on. then i just started increasing until got to 60. i do not recall hearing any noise of fuel loading or any noise in fuel rail at all.
    Hopefully someone will chime in with fuel knowledge.

i would pull it back out and check the seals, make sure you put grease or oil on them so they dont come off or get cut when u put it in. mine came up to about 20psi on first pressure check. probaly 6 turns or so to 60.

Alright, thanks guys, false alarm... it's working! I removed it and re-installed it. Only thing different I did is use lithium grease on the o-rings, instead of the anti-seize I used before. I don't think the regulator was all the way down in position. The clip had an outward bend last time, and now it is holding the regulator in without bending. I'm sitting right on 60# now with the lanyard on, and it drops down to 40# after removing the key.

After getting a bit of work done today, I'll go test 'er out on the water. Great thing about where it is positioned in the boat (under the passenger seat, with the gauge facing the driver), is I can leave the passenger seat off for now and watch the neddle move as I produce boost.

I was able to create an NPT "tee" adaptor to attach the regulator's boost sensor and my boost gauge. Anybody use a SS screw-strap to secure their boost line on the nipple? Didn't know if boost could leak from there. I never had a strap holding my boost gauge hose on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boost-RRFPR NPT.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	453.4 KB 
ID:	62677  

+1
    awesome, i have not put a clamp on the boost line where it is connected to the intake manifold, as it did not come with one. I am sure it would be better, but after riding the other day it seemed to still be in the same place on nipple.
    The only thing i noticed is that i set my guage to 60 and after about a 1 hour ride (first ride with rrfpr) after i got the boat out of the water i checked my pressure with lanyard on and it was then showing close to 62. so i guess after some WOT it settled in and increased a little.
    Have fun and good luck.

+1

Glad to know you got it going

engine off = 60#, engine on = 55#???

Just got back from testing. Before I hit the water, I checked one last time that I was right on 60#, and it was, but starting it on the water, the needle was exactly at 55 pounds. I feared running it too hard and being lean, so I just did several short WOT runs. I thought I'd have to re-adjust it, but I realized that when the engine is off and the key in, I'm again exactly on 60. But, anytime the engine is on with no boost, the needle sits on 55#. Since I can see the gauge from the drivers seat, I was able to see it move up to 65 pounds when the SC was producing 10 pounds of boost at WOT.

I know the real answer is an AFR sensor, but what's the opinion on this? Anyone else notice this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information