Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

17 Years Old, New ski?? Help!

Hey guys, been snooping around in these forums for awhile now..and I think it's time for me to finally get a ski. The problem is, I'm only 17 years old, and my parents say I'm growing up way to fast. I've saved and saved for a about two years straight now, In hopes of purchasing a Used ski, a XP, to be precise.

Now that the summer of '08 draws near, I've realized, I don't want a XP. I'm hooked on the idea of purchasing a new RXP(X -- Haven't decided yet), inspired by speed and my brother buying his 2007 GPR1300 last summer. My parents, while not being able to help me out finicially, are willing to apply for finacing with the dealer. My question to you is, what is the BEST way to purchase a ski? My other brother, in debt to me a favor, has offered to take out a 5-6,000 dollar personal loan, (Obviously me paying the payments), and I have about 4,000$ I can spend now. Should I go to the dealer, give my 4,000 as a down payment, and finance the rest with my parents? Or should I take the 5,000 from my brother and give the dealer a total of 9,000 down, and Pay the rest off as soon as I could? I have no idea how these things work.

I know this might not be best idea for my situation, But I have a true love for the sport, and would love to start wrenching at a young age.

Help me out guys

--Zack

The percentage rates are whats important. Honestly if it were me I would just put the 4k down and finance the rest trhough sea doo. I don't know their rates off the top of my head but just do a little research and you can find out easily enough. If that is what you decide to do you will just need a co-signer to purchase the ski, preferable someone with good credit.

Also put a lot of thought into this before you go forward, in other words don't get yourself in trouble. Make sure you can handle the payments. A new ski will be around 12k roughly plus a trailer if you need one. So with 4k down you will still owe around 8-9k. Sorry not trying to discourage you I'm not a whole lot older then you, 22 but I prefer to be on the safe side.

Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RX-Pike View Post
    Hey guys, been snooping around in these forums for awhile now..and I think it's time for me to finally get a ski. The problem is, I'm only 17 years old, and my parents say I'm growing up way to fast. I've saved and saved for a about two years straight now, In hopes of purchasing a Used ski, a XP, to be precise.

Now that the summer of '08 draws near, I've realized, I don't want a XP. I'm hooked on the idea of purchasing a new RXP(X -- Haven't decided yet), inspired by speed and my brother buying his 2007 GPR1300 last summer. My parents, while not being able to help me out finicially, are willing to apply for finacing with the dealer. My question to you is, what is the BEST way to purchase a ski? My other brother, in debt to me a favor, has offered to take out a 5-6,000 dollar personal loan, (Obviously me paying the payments), and I have about 4,000$ I can spend now. Should I go to the dealer, give my 4,000 as a down payment, and finance the rest with my parents? Or should I take the 5,000 from my brother and give the dealer a total of 9,000 down, and Pay the rest off as soon as I could? I have no idea how these things work.

I know this might not be best idea for my situation, But I have a true love for the sport, and would love to start wrenching at a young age.

Help me out guys

--Zack
    Buy a good used 215 rxp....06-07. You should be able to get one pretty cheap right now/ even a new 215? If you live near GA. talk to Extreme DK

With your cash down, how about buy an 04 GPR out right(no loan) keep it for a few years, mod it through WFO or many others. I'm just thinking no loan-no payments for a 17 year old.
    A modded GPR will kill a stock RXP, I know, I've had both.

Keep us posted on what you're gonna do.

+1
    Almost 3 years ago I was in pretty much the exact same situation you are. Buy a nice, well maintained, problem free used ski (RXP is your preference and a good choice too). It will save you a lot of money in the long run and you won't have to screw around with this financing crap. Just get whoever you can to take out a loan for whatever you need above the $4,000 you have for a used ski and call it a day. If you end up taking this route, do a search on what exactly to check for when purchasing a used ski. Good luck.

Banned User
    +1
    First ski, go used on a well maintained unit...but allow yourself atleast SOME play money for slight upgrades (metal washers, intake grate, air intake, etc)...

My first ski I took a small loan out with my insurance company, paid half in cash...Paid off the rest in a littl eover a year...worked out well.

+1
    Hi Zack. I think it would be a great idea to get a loan from your bank or credit union so you will be getting an early start on establishing credit. I do agree with some of the others that used is the way to go. I would look at an 06 rxp, or any year gpr. The 04/05 rxp's should have the flywheel bolts upgraded(pain in the ass)as well as super charger clutch washers(not to bad). The 06 would also need washers changed but it does have a heavy duty sc shaft and heavy duty flywheel bolts. Anyway, if buying used, the seller usualy includes the trailer. That's a big savings right there compared to what a dealer will charge for a new trailer. Also, Check on what insurance is going to run you, and make sure you have a plan for an income stream(job) to be able to keep up your monthly payments. Because as good as it is to get your credit established, getting a bad credit history started will cost you for a long time. I don't mean to be a buzz kill. Just think all your options through, do a lot of shopping, and take your time.

Good luck
    John

+1
    I would look into a used ski. my first 2 skis were a 04 rxp and 03 gtx. I bought them last june in 07 and for both of them paid in cash what it would have cost me for one new ski. Let us or other suckers pay the full blown new price, search endlessly for a low hour 06 newer ski in good shape and then you will be able to afford your new found hobby, modding these skis.
    good luck.
    Last edited by skoepp; 03-17-2008 at 10:15 AM.

+1 on the used. In '05 I bought 2 used '03 GTX's on a double trailer for less than you're going to spend on 1 new RXP-X. Use your down payment, get a small loan (that helps your credit rating) and spend the difference on upgrades.
    Don't forget to allow for fuel costs. Last year, I spent about $100/day on 92 octane for the skis and about $150 - 200 a weekend for the Expedition.

+1
    Zack...

Do some more research. Just a couple weeks ago, I saw a 2007 RXT new, unused for around $9600, and a new, unused 2007 RXP for a little less, I think. I don't remember that price.

Anyway, make some calls at dealerships. Look in local used boat magazines. Remember...making monthly payments is only half of the game. You will still need money to pay for the rising fuel costs.

I think you should be able to find a very nice (low hour) ski in the $5,000 - $7,500 range. They are out there...just be patient and get it right from the get-go.

--jpe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information