Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

04 flywheel bolts?

Should I have the dealer install these new stretch bolts for my 04 to be on the safe side? Or just run it as is as the dealer said they have not encountered any problems of this sort. they will problably charge me an arm and leg to do it.

From what I understand usually the 04-05 stock flywheel bolts become a problem when running higher rpm's, although I'm sure there is a chance it could happen either way. The dealer will most likely charge you an arm and a leg to replace the bolts. I just did it this winter, its really not that bad to do but the engine should be pulled. If your mechanically inclined you can most likely handle it... esp. with all the help you can get from reading on here.

+1
    thanks alot for your imput. I was contemplating dumping this 04 for the rxp x, but it sounds like if do keep it, and do mods staying at stock rpms you should be ok. any other opinions on what to do?

just remember it is a gamble not changing the bolts but staying at stock rpms. I personally would keep your 04 rxp, replace the bolts, and use money saved from not buying the x to mod the ski..

+1
    how hard is it to replace? Do you have to pull the motor? I plan on taking the supercharger off today and sending it to jerry for an upgrade so I will have some parts all ready off. Or option 2, send it to the dealer.

+1
    i have searched this subject alot. in fact i just had everything out of my hull except the engine and almost was going to attempt the bolt upgrade. it can be done in hull but you really need to pull the motor to be able to do the job correct and to have enough room to get to all pto bolts. I am thinking of making it thru this season and then pull the motor this winter, so i can upgrde the ecu etc.
    Last edited by skoepp; 03-17-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by battsy View Post
    how hard is it to replace? Do you have to pull the motor? I plan on taking the supercharger off today and sending it to jerry for an upgrade so I will have some parts all ready off. Or option 2, send it to the dealer.

Supposedly it can be done with the motor in the hull but I would never attempt that. I guess if you don't think you can handle it either let it go or take it to the dealer. I personally would never take it to the dealer. Dealers are too expensive and I don't trust them.

Its really not a difficult job if you have experience with engines and are mechanically inclined. I replaced the bolts with no problem this past December but I also had the entire ski torn apart so the engine was out. Currently its all back together and runs great.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    Supposedly it can be done with the motor in the hull but I would never attempt that.
    I wouldn't either. Besides, after you remove everything necessary to do the job with the motor in the hull, pulling the engine just takes removing wires. The time you save by doing it with the motor pulled outweighs the few extra minutes it takes to remove the engine.

+1
    I have the upgraded bolts on order from Jerry right now. I've got today off so I plan on pulling the jet pump, super charger, etc. I'm going to attempt this job in the ski. I'll report how it goes after parts arrive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by outboard john View Post
    I have the upgraded bolts on order from Jerry right now. I've got today off so I plan on pulling the jet pump, super charger, etc. I'm going to attempt this job in the ski. I'll report how it goes after parts arrive.
    that would be a good report back. i have read where luker did his in hull but not to many others. good luck.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information