Another Winterize question

I am sorry guys in advance I did a search, but there where alot of different answers and I assumed it was a model thing. I just drove this weekend to Florida and back to Maine 48 hours straight and bought 2 nice skis. Both are 98 one is a GSX limited and the other is a XP limited. It is very close to freezing here and I dont want to take any chances. I saw some people just took a hose off the top of the head and poured some AF in there while the engine is off. While others ran there engine on some sort of hose and pumped the AF throuought. Please let me know which I should do on my models as it does get below feezing up here in Maine and I dont want to ruin my new skis. Most of the other stuff was done (fogging the motor etc) I am just looking for the important block cracking scary stuff to make sure these are OK

PS another person mentioned draining the oil from the jet pump. When I called the local dealer the mentioned a special tool to get the pump apart? I would think draining and filling would be pretty simple. I searched but maybe not for the right thing. How do I drain and fill this and what do I use to fill it?

+1
    Forget the pump. Add ~1 pt at the highest point on the head.

Don't worry about the water box or pipe. If water freezes there the ice will just slide around. The water will fill the cylinder passages and expand enough to break stuff. Assume there is water in there and use 100% AF.

WOW that's a long way to go for 10yr old skis.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    PS another person mentioned draining the oil from the jet pump. When I called the local dealer the mentioned a special tool to get the pump apart? I would think draining and filling would be pretty simple. I searched but maybe not for the right thing. How do I drain and fill this and what do I use to fill it?
    You don't have to take the pump apart to drain the oil, just remove the cone.

Cool thanks I pretty much did what you said, except I hadnt read your post yet. I used a funnel and poured about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon down that hose between the heads on top. It was basically running out from somewhere out the back of the machine. It seemed like the XP was draining from a port above and to the right of the Jet Drive. Does that sound right? I just kind of assumed it would come right out the drive. I am pretty sure the GSX limited came out the drive as it does not even have the port like the XP. Then I took the cones off like you said and drained all the oil into a bucket. The GSX had red looking oil maybe a little water in it as it seemed milky. The XP had dark oil in it looked kind of and smelled like 80-90W gear oil. What should I put back in there? I am ordering new O-rings too it cant hurt to make suer they are good to go in the summer.
    On a side note which one should be faster and about how fast should they be? My buddy has a 99 GSX limited and GPS it ran about 66 MPH mine has similar engine and looks the same so I figured about the same, but I wasnt sure if they are exactly the same. The XP looks totaly differnt same motor, but the guy said it was a tick faster. He said it ran about 67 give or take and the GSX would run about 64. He did mention the XP had an aftermarket impeller. Would that make the difference and they should be the same. I need to know all of this you see because my girlfriend is getting the slower one LOL I cant be getting out run by her that would be embarrasing hehehehe

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I'm curious...how much did you spend on gas for the trip?

+1
    some advice...
    the XP is a great nimble ski, fun to carve and do donuts and stuff, but it is a wet ride, very wet.
    my advice is you ride that one... even if its slower, cuz if your girl gets soaked continuously on the xp she's not going to want to ride!!!
    the GSX is more stable alot drier, and easir to ride, so give the GF that one.
    i think the GSX might be a bit faster, but shes never gonna go that fast anyways... you spend most of your time cruisin not full blast high speed runs.
    both those skis had issues with the exhaust coupling, make sure its not leaking, as if it leaks it will leak water directly into the air intake, thats bad.
    the exhaust coupler should have a little rubber wrapping that goes around it, kinda like a molded on diaper. it helps keep any water leakage from leaking into the intake. but if you have signs of water around that coupler, dont just rely on the diaper, get it taken care of.
    the 951 is an awesome engine, just learn about it cuz its a bit more finicky and if not well maintained can have problems.

+1
    impeller might make it a bit faster, you should check both impellers and wear rings for dings or damage. a little damage to the either can really hurt performance.
    does either ski have any other mods?? flame arrestors?? head? exhaust?? sponsons? intake grate?

Where is the exhaust coupling located? The XP looks like the water box is located way out back in a different compartment from the engine. I am kind of assuming thats the coupler you are talking about. I will take a better look at the skis to see what you mean and make sure its OK. I have some time before summer to make sure these are running well.
    No other mods that I know of. He mentioned the XP had flame arrestors but he put it back to stock when he put a new engine in the ski. The GSX looks to be stock but I have not checked either one for aftermarket grates etc.
    Well from Maine to Florida took about 24 hours one way and I put a hitch on my buddies mini van. It was about 225 bucks or so down but coming back with 2 skis it didnt do as well in mileage so I think it was about 325 on the way back. Tolls in the states that have them killed me on the way back to.... Some charged me basically double the normal rate for having a trailer. So that was another 75 bucks both ways. All in all I dumped about 850 bucks on the trip, left Friday night at 5 and got home Monday morning at 1:00 am. Hindsight is always 20/20 I wouldnt do it again. The shipping on Ebay screwed me it had an estimate for 685 but when I called they said it was only an estimate and the actual cost would be 1600. I hope they run good and I am sure I will have alot of fun. The other guys I ride with have newer skis and my old Polaris even after putting a 750 in a 650 buying an extended pump jetting and messing with it would only go about 46 MPH One of the guys I ride with has a Honda Turbo FX12 and the others also have 66 MPH skis they could cruise at 45 while I was wide open all the time. I was getting really frustrated. One other guy had a GSX and it seemed to keep up with them so I figured this would be a good deal to have one for me and the GF

Thread Information