Thread: Sponson Woes

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar

Sponson Woes

Has anyone ever heard of a stock sponson being ripped out. I was surf jumping with a 2003 GTX limited a month or so ago, when on the way back into the inlet, the ski felt sluggish. Lifted the seat and there was water pouring in fast. I raced back to the lift and pulled the ski out. Noticed the entire port side sponson had pulled out about 3/4 of an inch causing major fiberglass damage. We just got this ski about 3 months ago, it was obviously used. We just had the 06' supercharger update put in with metal washers. Now a 2000 dollar bill to have the sponson fixed. Luckily insurance covered it with no raise in insurance premium. Sorry for the rant, but is this normally an issue. Did the sponsons get stronger in later years. I just got an RXTX that I will ride in the ocean and on the great lakes. I do not want another expensive issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SearayEX12 View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a stock sponson being ripped out. I was surf jumping with a 2003 GTX limited a month or so ago, when on the way back into the inlet, the ski felt sluggish. Lifted the seat and there was water pouring in fast. I raced back to the lift and pulled the ski out. Noticed the entire port side sponson had pulled out about 3/4 of an inch causing major fiberglass damage. We just got this ski about 3 months ago, it was obviously used. We just had the 06' supercharger update put in with metal washers. Now a 2000 dollar bill to have the sponson fixed. Luckily insurance covered it with no raise in insurance premium. Sorry for the rant, but is this normally an issue. Did the sponsons get stronger in later years. I just got an RXTX that I will ride in the ocean and on the great lakes. I do not want another expensive issue.
    Sea Doo changed the mounting system for the sponsons on all 05 AND UP skis.

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar
    Are the new sponsons mounted with a stronger system?

Quote Originally Posted by SearayEX12 View Post
    Are the new sponsons mounted with a stronger system?
    Yes

Thread Information