Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My Ultra 150 did a #2

i had no history on this ski other than "it was supposed to be fine" I checked the fluids and they weren't stale so I stuck a battery in it and started fairly quick on the hose pipe. I put her in the lake and it pulled straight up to 62 and then I let out and it died. It wouldn't turn over and the battery light was flashing so I thought the bat might not have taken a good charge. I paddled for about 5-10 minutes & tried again. She started and did the same thing. I swapped the plugs and juices and pulled the carbs and cleaned them up. Once again it started just fine on the hose and when I put it in the lake it had no power and would barely get on plane. I bought myself a comp tester and the results were #1 was 110-#2 was 0 and #3 was 115. Below is some pics of what the end of my day showed. I don't know if I did this or this puppy was already on its way to takin a #2. Any input and guidence would be appreciated. I already got a manuel from btldigger and thanks again to him and I am going to spend the next few nights doing some reading and looking for a good machine shop in the lakeland florida area. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01661.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	62706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#2.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	62707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	# 2.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	62708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#2 head.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	62709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#1.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	62710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#3.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	62711  

+1
    I have a cylinder and head, get a piston kit and your right back in the mix after you figure out the cause. email me [email protected]

Looks to me like 2 and 3 have something going on. 3 looks like there is some cracking below the exhaust port. These cylinders are plated with nicasil you cant just take the to a local machine shop and get them bored.
    best bet is send them to us chrome they are in minesota. Then just go ahead and do a full topend. How many hours does it have on it? Were the oil lines cracked?

Welcome to the Green Hulk!!

All three cylinders look lean to me. Be sure to plan on rebuilding the carbs while you are at it.

What was the air temperature when you were riding. How long did you let it warm up before taking off?

The oil lines looked good but I didn't flush em until after the first ride. I'm unsure on the hours. Can I look up the hours on the display like my honda??? What's your guess on the cracking? overheating or dipped while hot?

Ax the temp was close to 80 and it warmed up on the hose in my drive for about 15 mins and it takes me about 5 mins to get in the lake and then i idled for maybe 3 or 4 mins. then took off by rolling into it.

thanks guys
    Last edited by Koobin; 03-17-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: didnt finish

Dont know about the cracking I have never seen one do that. For sure check the cooling system. If it is all stock it will have 1 pisser up front and 3 above the pump. All should be pissing when its running on the hose. Yes the hours will be on the display when you turn the key on. Another option would be to pm codymouse he has a fresh rebuilt motor he is selling for a fair price. The carbs would be worth a look too. ax is right it looks lean. Did it have a stock flame arrestor on it.?

yeah it's all stock and it shows 73 hrs. I was looking at that cracking you mentioned and I hadn't cleaned the cylinders yet and it was the way the flash hit some oil. 1 and 3 cylinders look good after cleaning (I think), but is there something particular I should be checking because of the coating. actually 2 wasn't as bad as I thought it should be but I know it needs to be reworked. I was looking for rebuild kits for the carbs and i swear it said $116 per carb for the kits($348 for all 3). That doesn't sound right for a few pieces of rubber and some gaskets. Maybe it has been that long since I have rebuilt one (probably 12 years ago) on a CR250. I want to get this thing right but i need to keep it to what is neccessary since I have 3 other projects going right now as well but are somewhat on hold until I finish this. I got to get a parts list together first though so I can break it to the better half. Thanks for the help guys

If that #2 isnt scored very bad you might get away with a piston and rings. I had heard those carb kits were high. Usually what happens is the diaphram that lifts the slides either tears or was improperly reinstalled. This means the slide either wont open or wont open at the same rate as the others. The reason I asked about f/a's is that they reduce the vacume signal and lean out the motor. Unless they have been modified. With 73 hrs on it I would go ahed and do the topend since you have it torn down already.

I don't know anything about these plated cylinders but I beleive I would bet it would make it. It's discolored slightly but feels fine to the touch. I still think i'm going to pick one up though. "Ony215" has one with 40 hrs and he says he will send a pic will take 135 shipped. How does that sound? and I'll send you the pic. when you mean do the top end I am understanding you as to replate all 3, new surfaces all around and cleaned in/out,reeds and carbs. and of course 3 new p's and rings. I am really strapped right now, and I'm not looking to have perfect tuned screamer. I'd be happy with a reliable mosquito killer that someone can ride along side with me on my f12x looking at the pretty views just starting to come out this time of year( spring break in fl) just as long as I can fix the lean condition and be half way comfortable headed out a little ways from the beach. Thanks in advance.

good carb kit deal

Any body know were I can get a good deal on the carb kit's and pistons?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information