Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Car Audio

Car Audio

For months ive been researching car audio but im on a budget. At first I looked at the JLs, then the Alpine type-rs, then the type s's trying to save money, then went back to JL and NOW I HAVE MADE MY DECISION... im going with dual 10" type-Rs and probably a hifonics amp. for headunit im going with the Alpine CDA-9886R (maybe not R but if i can find one i would like it)

These are the cheapest prices i could find (rounded up):

Subs- $180
    Amp- $200
    Headunit- $220
    Enclosure- $????? havnt decided but will be around $100
    Labor-$?????

So that comes out to about $700 w/o installation. I decided to hold out on tweeters and door speakers to see if i need them and if it is worth it, plus i need to make more cash.

Any comments, suggestions, criticisms, or anything.... any input will be taken appreciatively.

THANX!

Buy a cheap 59 dollar kraco radio and save the rest for gas for your summer fun.Help your folks out with that.Imo..2 cents

when i get my system you'll hear me from IL.

Quote Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
    when i get my system you'll hear me from IL.

you have been comming in loud and clear for months . happy st pats day.

Quote Originally Posted by icerat4 View Post
    you have been comming in loud and clear for months . happy st pats day.
    Bahahaha

The flea markets out here in illinois has Everything for cheap as hell. I looked up everything i wanted on crutchfield brought the list to the Good ole Swap o rama out here and some guy made me a deal for everything that i couldnt refuse told me to come back next weekend and he had it all and everything was brand new and in working order. Olny thing i had to do was get the facia stuff and wiring harness that was specific for my car instead of having to splice wires and rig facia. Everything brand new was going to be around 800 i paid around 450 if i remember correctly. You wont be dissapointed with the Alpine. I had one 12" Type R in my Firebird It hit so hard it was rediculous and i olny had the Amp set on half its potential. Dont go cheap on the Amp my friend got some crappy sony and it burnt out on him in a couple months he ended up buying my entire system from me.
    Last edited by ReDevilRXP; 03-17-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    Bahahaha

The flea markets out here in illinois has Everything for cheap as hell. I looked up everything i wanted on crutchfield brought the list to the Good ole Swap o rama out here and some guy made me a deal for everything that i couldnt refuse told me to come back next weekend and he had it all and everything was brand new and in working order. Olny thing i had to do was get the facia stuff and wiring harness that was specific for my car instead of having to splice wires and rig facia. Everything brand new was going to be around 800 i paid around 450 if i remember correctly. You wont be dissapointed with the Alpine. I had one 12" Type R in my Firebird It hit so hard it was rediculous and i olny had the Amp set on half its potential. Dont go cheap on the Amp my friend got some crappy sony and it burnt out on him in a couple months he ended up buying my entire system from me.
    yea the amp is basically the system.... the subs can only perform to what power you give them... not having a proper amp would be like having a ferrari but you cant use your 5th and 6th gear...

infact the amp im getting will probably be a little overpowering so i have to turn it down to like you. i cant wait. of course i wont be getting all this until the end of this year so i have a while and hopefully prices will drop

Dont judge me...
    My .02 cents... I am 21 and regret the whole system thing...I never had one in my car but several of my buddy's did and my hearing sucks....because of that. It is a phase that will come and go but your hearing will be gone to. Get you a nice head unit and some aftermarket good quality speakers and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by YJSONLY View Post
    My .02 cents... I am 21 and regret the whole system thing...I never had one in my car but several of my buddy's did and my hearing sucks....because of that. It is a phase that will come and go but your hearing will be gone to. Get you a nice head unit and some aftermarket good quality speakers and call it good.
    Yeah i ended up selling my whole system but i ended up not losing much money at all maybe a 100 bucks at most in the end. Id say it was well worth it The music sounded a looot better Rock music sounded really nice and sharp when i took it out it was night and day difference but i got over it.

As far as hearing i can see that happening but i ussualy drove everywhere myself didnt trust other people with they way they drove at that age. This way i can also play music how i wanted too and i never really had it stupid loud.

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    Couple questions for you.........

What type of music do you listen to?
    What make/model of car do you have?
    Convertible?
    What type of bass are you looking to get? Tight, accurate, or Deep low Hz
    What type of cabinet are you wanting? Formed or generic
    Exactly how loud do you want it to be? Just for you....to.....annoy your block

All these and more need to be considered when designing a system. Some subs are great for one type, but suck at others. You say you want to try and shave money, so you need to get it right the first time. I know guys that have been through 5+ different speakers in a year because they were trying to save 50 buck here and there and ended up with a something they weren't happy with.

As an after thought.... Plan on spending at least 50 dollars on wiring alone. Do it right, don't burn up your car, or your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jonjonwells View Post
    Couple questions for you.........

What type of music do you listen to?

What make/model of car do you have?
    1996 volvo 850 but this will be in a 1999 volvo s70
    Convertible?
    nada
    What type of bass are you looking to get? Tight, accurate, or Deep low Hz
    mainly accurate, quality
    What type of cabinet are you wanting? Formed or generic
    ? what the hell??? do you mean what kind of enclosure.. like ported, sealed, bandpass, etc or am i just dumb
    Exactly how loud do you want it to be? Just for you....to.....annoy your block
    just for me.. i dont want some loud ass system that everyone hears but it is distorted as hell
    All these and more need to be considered when designing a system. Some subs are great for one type, but suck at others. You say you want to try and shave money, so you need to get it right the first time. I know guys that have been through 5+ different speakers in a year because they were trying to save 50 buck here and there and ended up with a something they weren't happy with.

As an after thought.... Plan on spending at least 50 dollars on wiring alone. Do it right, don't burn up your car, or your gear.
    hope that helps

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information