Thread: My new Octane!

+1

My new Octane!

Ok, here's a a pic. I paid $3200, plus shipping from Montana. But the ski is dead already! Ran great for 2 hours, then suddenly no spark. No water intrusion, just stopped running. Randy says that just happens sometimes, and a new CDI is coming express mail. Hope that's the fix....

The previous owner, the original owner since new, peeled off all the graphics except "LARI" so now that's what we call it, "Larry". Or "Larry Boy". (ever heard of Veggie Tales?) Not sure if I'm going to redo the graphics, or paint it yellow instead. (see avatar, everything I own eventually gets painted yellow) I would definitely paint it yellow, if I could figure out how to do the stock graphics without the red background. Just think a yellow ski with red and black graphics would look too garish....

What a riot this ski is, though! I wish I had a pic of my son's first ride, he started it, it launched right out of his hands at full throttle, shot clean out of the water, just left him floating there, stunned!

Please don't ask about the upside down "6's" being used as "9's", I own 3 packs of those darned number sets, and still didn't have enough 9's to do it right....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3776.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	458.8 KB 
ID:	62770  
    Last edited by delagem; 03-17-2008 at 07:57 PM.

+1
    nice
    as long as you keep in contact with Randy everything will be alright

Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    I would definitely paint it yellow, if I could figure out how to do the stock graphics without the red background. Just think a yellow ski with red and black graphics would look too garish....
    A member here that goes by SideFX is making custom graphics. I bet he could do something like what you are wanting.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    A member here that goes by SideFX is making custom graphics. I bet he could do something like what you are wanting.

He can realy do it ,,,PRO STYLE (not like mine "HOE STYLE" )stickers
    HIS WORK IS OUT OF THIS WORLD
    mattman

+1
    Bummer it stopped runninng but at least Randy ALWAYS has what we need to keep our rides running.

+1
    Did the Coast Guard take that pic when you were screaming through the port at 2 mph? lol

+1

We've got spark!

Randy's CDI appears to be the ticket! PET tach says it's got spark again, but I wasn't able to get it out on the water today to actually run it. We'll see tomorrow!

Unfortunately I found a bunch of evidence of "work" being performed inside the elex box. The previous owner said he never did anything to the ski, but somebody with limited skillz was in there.... Broken off lugs on the box cover itself, the pin between the fuse panel and the CDI post missing, one nut holding the CDI and voltage regulator missing... (Not blaming the guy I bought it from, he did have to change a starter, perhaps his dealer did some "troubleshooting" prior to diagnosing the starter problem.)

Yup, I was going just about that speed in the port when I got my "Notice of Violation" or whatever Lt. Dilweed wrote me. I was standing, barely, so I must have been going too fast...

I will have to find the member you're talking about for graphics. It should be fairly easy, just scan the stock graphics, and break it down into colors. I just need the white and the black, the red will become yellow from the hull paint. That's all long range plans, though, this summer I'm just going to learn how to ride this thing! Totally different from a JS550.

Found another awesome launching place near here. Haulover Park, about 25 min's south of Dania Beach on A1A. The only ocean access between Port Everglades and Miami, I believe. Awesome sandbar out in the middle of the tiny harbor, where dozens of boats and jetskis anchor in about 2 feet of water. Easy ocean access, too. My navigation instructor told me about this place. There really are dozens of places to launch and ride here!

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    Nice ski! Might be a good day if I ever come across one of those Octanes around here...

+1
    They were actually pretty easy to find! I was looking for an 04 SXR800 and couldn't find one that hadn't been raced/abused, and just happened to look for an Octane instead. But closing the deal was difficult! Several people who had posted on the "other" site that theirs was for sale suddenly had changed thier minds. One got sold to someone else while I was trying to find a trucker to haul it from Indy for me.

Unfortunately they all seem to go for $5k and up. Shipping wasn't too bad, I had offers of $300 from Indy and a best of $450 from Montana, all the way to NY! I wound up paying $700 in order to get it hotshotted here in time for my class. That ski went 3,800 miles in 3 days! Missoula to NY to FL. That's an average of 52.78 mph for 72 hours straight!

I used Uship.com to avoid the issues with getting the ski crated. Uship is ok, but you're at the whim of guys who will bid, and then say "weather" or something when they find a better load, one guy left me hanging that way. Hence the need to hotshot it at the last minute.

There's also a great service that I read about on this forum, they move them fast and cheap, but need it crated. I forget the name of that company.

Thread Information