Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Question So many dufferent bilge options ....

Im ready to put a bilge or two in my ski and after reading through all the different threads I am more confused than ever.

Some are automatic but have switches, Others are manual, others turn on every 2 minutes . WTF !!!! 2 minutes, that chit will sink in 30 seconds !!!!

I know I was reading throgh some of the threads and they were 2 years old. What are you guys using ?? Thanks

+1
    I picked up an Attwood 500GPH manual swithed pump at Academy the other day for like $8.00. The Rule auto pumps are nice and start at like $40.00.

+1
    you can get a solid state water switch from sest marine for 30 bucks then you just buy whatever manual bilge you want, im not sure how it works but it does, once water gets half way up it it will run for abouy 1 minute longer after all the water is drained, i run 2 attwood tsunami pumps in mine with the auto switch with a manual backup switch just in case
    has worked perfect since 05

+1
    Rule 500 here, saved my sorry azz yesterday in the middle of the lake (racing X model in chop) when my race-pro shaft seal clamp failed Anything more than idle and the water would come in faster than the rule would pump out. I idled in for 2 hours w/ the pump running.......think I am going to get another for my other ski

Banned User
    RULE 500 automatic is the best use a switch to turn it off when not in water pump senses water so if your not listening or paying attention it turns on as soon as water hits the filter and turns off when filter senses no water.

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    I use only the ATTWOOD S1100 pumps.
    got 2 in each of my 2 conversions and 2 more in my buddy deck boat.
    you can get them at most academy store and some wallmarts...
    the s500 seams to be a bit weak.. so for a few bucks more get the s1100.

fully auto with a built in float switch in the base..
    1100 GPM

you really don't even need a switch if you just wire the auto part. this is what we did on the deck boat..

when looking for a pump IMO you DON'T want the pump that spins every two minutes.. You CAN'T leave these kind on or they will kill your battery..

When wiring the pump get a ON-OFF-ON toggle switch with the 6 connections on bottom.. and TWO waterproof fuse holders..

Now wire the switch and pump like this..

6pole switch bottom

auto------nothing

fuse1------fuse2

nothing----manual

the pump will have three wire
    ground -
    auto +
    manual +

I like to run the two fuse wires separately to the battery from the switch. this is not needed but its a extra bit of protection...

this gives you two separate power supplies to your pump. This is what NASA-aircrafts-racecars-military.etc.etc do so if you blow a fuse or have a wiring issue you still can supply a second power source to you equipment at the flip of a switch.. this will also allow you to set it to AUTO (mine always stay on AUTO) or run it on manual..
    I got NO foam in my ski and NO factory bailer anymore So my pumps are the ONLY things that keep my ski from being on the bottom of the lake if it takes water on... So you can see the importance of redundant power source.

hope this helps
    Last edited by rapidacceleration; 03-18-2008 at 10:07 AM.

I guess what im looking for would be , for it to be on auto and the switch to turn it on when ever I want. Is there one that checks more often than 2 minutes ??

+1
    I used a Rule 500 as well ... that and a 3 way switch. The way I wired it, straight up is off, left is 100% on, right is automatic mode ... works great and quite simple. I just make sure it is in automatic mode when riding, and off when I cover it up; no worries, no significant battery drain, while riding it cycles on for 5 seconds every 5 minutes and if it senses no resistance it shuts off again. I attached mine to one of the tabs in the hull that used to hold down the two siphon blocks from the stock bilge.

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    get a float switch style.. there always ready to pump immediately when they sense water.. and you NEVER have to worry about turning it off..

the FLOATLESS pumps like the rule you CAN'T leave on or it will kill your batt.. and theres a long wait in between checks... a lot of water can come in within 2 minutes..
    This is just my experience over the pass 20 years of boating and jet skiing.. been there done that, and almost sunk a few from not having the right pump or a big enough pump.. also killed a few batts from leaving those "sensing" pumps on...

which are the float type ones ?

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information