+1

Question Fit air filter or not????

Hi all, what are your thoughts on ruuning air filters as the standard air box does'nt have one init. Just wondering as i am looking to improve my intake set up. i cant rele have a rear intake bcause i ride in the sea 100%. Dont like the risk of taking water on. I also cant run a 4" front intake because of my intercooler set up, i can get a 3" through but wanted to kno if i could just run with sum stainless fine mesh to stop large particles entering the engine??? Im sure i saw somebodys rear intake 4 a rxt mith just mesh over the intake pipe. Any help many thanks R8

+1
    Not sure what happend in that post but i ment i cant run a 4 inch front, but i can get a 3 inch through. Thanks R8

+1
    I ran without a filter all last year

I will be adding one this year as I am making a few changes

Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    Hi all, what are your thoughts on ruuning air filters as the standard air box does'nt have one init. Just wondering as i am looking to improve my intake set up. i cant rele have a rear intake bcause i ride in the sea 100%. Dont like the risk of taking water on. I also cant run a 4" front intake because of my intercooler set up, i can get a 3" through but wanted to kno if i could just run with sum stainless fine mesh to stop large particles entering the engine??? Im sure i saw somebodys rear intake 4 a rxt mith just mesh over the intake pipe. Any help many thanks R8
    Yep, I recommend using a stainless mesh filter. It keeps out crap from entering the intake. Don't use one with a paper filter element just SS. Some guys just put flo-rite fabric over the opening. Personally I think the flo-rite impeads airflow some so I like the open stainless mesh filter. Technically you don't need any filter on the water because there is no dust but I've dropped screws down my intake before so I run a filter.

I ran fiberglass window screen material over the end of my 4" front. No problems.

I now run a ss strainer over my rear intake. there is enough of it domed across the intake that the sc doesn't even feel it...no diff in r's when running open ie w/o.

You gotta have something though....you don't want a piece of styrofoam getting sucked down to those sc blades when they're spinning as fast as they do.

+1
    Thanks guys, real helpfull. Was not sure and thought it would be best to get some feed back from those that have tryed and tested. I guesed that an airfilter was not that neccersary becaust the air on and around water is generaly dust free. Thanks again R8

+1
    An air filter in the hull is probably not as critical as a air setup that is pulling air from directly outside allthough i would prefer one. I tested my riva rear air on the rxp yesterday for the first time. When i got home to put her in the shop, I pulled the seat and cowling i noticed that the prefilter had traped quite abit of lint or whatever. With that being said I think there is definitely gain to any one running a filter with direct outside air setup.
    Just my findings.

Thread Information