Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

Lake Conroe anyone?

Might be going out this weekend for some riding. Anyone going to be out there?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hyoctane23 View Post
    Might be going out this weekend for some riding. Anyone going to be out there?
    Too rough at Conroe for me bro ! Especially on the weekends.

+1
    Where else is smoother?

san jacinto river, egret bay are 2 places that I a few of us enjoy

+1
    Here is my rundown on our local Lakes

Lake Conroe: Too ruff and crowded. Lots of water cops.

Lake Houston: Real close for a quick day trip. It can get ruff out on the main water but there are a few flat water spots up north of the 1960 bridge, there are 2 forks to ride up that are pretty cool. Depending on water level there can ge a few stumps to watchout for. Oh yeah, lots of water cops out there, have your registartion and safty gear straight.

San Jac: Another close one for a quick day trip(obviously cause its just below lake houson -lol). This is a fun spot but be careful, there are alot of stumps. Some people call this stump alley.

Lake Sommerville: My favorite lake and only an hour out of north houston. Sommerville is a large open lake, no matter how crowed the shores get there is always plenty of room on the water. Depending on the weather is can get pretty ruff or smooth as glass. There are always a couple of smooth spots - back cove section by the dam & marina, large cove section over at Welch park (this is were some of the Team Sport Racing /Noble racing guys pratice), and the upper section oposite side of the lake from the dam, there is lots of flat water back there but be carefull - it can get a lil shallow way up at the top. Sommerville has camp spots over at Rocky creek and Yegua that you can get for the day that are right on the water and have picnic tables & BBQ pits. You can chill out right at the water, bbq, and have your ski's anchored or beach right in front of you. Great for family outings or if you bring some friends and you want to keep an eye on them in case they fall off
    Oh yeah, Teamsport racing usually has a couple of races out there at Welch Park, but on the open water side.
    First one will be:
    MAY 3rd & 4th
    and the Texas cup will be there on August 9th & 10th

Egret: I have never been at Egret before but plan on checking it out here soon. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in about all the pros / cons, logistics,ect. I do hear there's alot of smooth water though.

Clear lake: No beach area for your ski's, only a very limited dock area. My ski got dinged up there last time I went Open water was pretty ruff but if you go under the bridge and head back too taylor lake area there is some good smooth water riding back there. Pretty fun spot though if you dont mind salt water and flushing / cleaning your ski for an hour after you get home and are allready gassed from riding
    Last edited by JetSkiDaddy; 03-21-2008 at 10:03 AM.

+1
    I'm not a big fan of Conroe. Got a ticket there 10 years ago and have not been back since. It can be a washing machine at times.

+1
    I think I may check out Somerville today...

GTI SE 155
    I did my first 4 hours 2 weekends ago on Lake Livingston, up in the north part where it is mostly Trinity River, but there are a few nice large coves/ "lakelettes" that are fun, fairly smooth, and NO water cops. There was, however a huge amount of junk in the river channel from all the recent rain upstream, the water was like chocolate milk, and I was really worried that I had trashed my new impeller! But I think I lucked out. The next weekend down on Rockport Bay (N. of Corpus) was much better! One of those rare days when the water is like Florida's.

Oh, and an RXP, too. Ballin Ultras's Avatar
    Not that I can boast that I've riden a lot of lakes, but of the Texas lakes I *have* riden, I think I have to say Somerville was the nicest. It would be between Somerville and Dunlap. IMO, both are 'riders' lakes, as they're both very, very smooth compared the lakes I've riden most my life (Conroe and Canyon). Been meaning to go back to Somerville ever since we rode it almost 10 years ago. It was like glass back then...

Yeah, and I agree, Conroe is probably the choppiest piece of water I've ever riden on. Definitely not a rider's lake, but certianly good for social events, beer consumption, BBQs, and checking out the young local blonde-headed Spring, Woodlands, and Tomball talent in the summertime.

houston, tx

Cool

IMO Lake conroe is very rough due to a complete lack of shores with the exception of the northend. There is a great cove (the north west cove) that is great for any type of watersports. we even slalomed there on the weekend.. but you have to stay on the southern half of the cove due to stumps. its still a great place to ride and last week they were finishing a new beach in the cove. I get my rxp-x in about 2 weeks (hopefully) and ill be there the rest of the summer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information