Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Rxp-x??

+1

New Rxp-x??

I am getting my new 08 RXP-X next week... My question is I have read mixed reviews on the break in. Do you guys think I should break it in with the learning key? Or do you do a hard break in?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by bavboym3 View Post
    I am getting my new 08 RXP-X next week... My question is I have read mixed reviews on the break in. Do you guys think I should break it in with the learning key? Or do you do a hard break in?

Thanks in advance.
    Read the newbie FAQ. And, do not use the learning key. The first 5-10 hours are critical. The most important thing to do a vary the throttle. This helps in getting the piston rings seated properly. Also, a good thing to do is bring the rpm's up and let off the throttle so the rpm's will drop. This helps pull the rings up towards the top of the piston.

+1
    your gonna get fifty million answers on this......but heres the one i use:

ride that boat (3) times for 20 to 30 minute intervals....... and for the first 15 to 20 minutes of each run keep varying rpm's back and forth between 3500 to 7000 rpm's or so with a few small blips to 8100/wot 3 to 5 seconds at a time...then for the last 5 or 10 minutes ride it like u stole it from 6500 to upper 7800+ rpms with a few short burts of 8100 wot holding max 4 to 7 seconds at a time....do that for your first three rides and let it cool properly in between rides and its OVER freind........that is about one full tank or there about of fuel........and after that its FULL THROTTLE or NO THROTTLE for me! good luck!
    Last edited by REID2168; 03-19-2008 at 04:07 PM.

+1
    Give It The Beans!

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bavboym3 View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I think you should ask what oil to use next.

Most, and me, say take the learning key throw it in a box for the inlaws and kids to use, then use the regular key to warm the enginge up(about 5 min depending on weather), the run it from hard to easy with varying RPMs.(read that as ride it like you stole it)

Can i get a link to the FAQ on breaking in. I pick mine up in a couple of weeks.

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    this is a good question. im dropping my x in for the first time hopefully on the 30th. i read somewhere on here that the learning key is whack and not to use it for the break-in period. i think someone needs to shed some light on this...

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    Give It The Beans!

LOL . i like that...beans..HA. so i guess the learning key is whack because it wont allow you "wring" it out ride it like you stole it.

when i got my cbr i left centreville at 8pm and rode 327 miles. i varied the throttle with a wide spread of different loads with differing engine speeds. i clocked 12k in 1 full year. with a lot of that being very high strung road course racing. that bike ran better everyday i rode it.....the police thought so too..

the learning key only uses 2 cylinders therefore the #3 cylinder doesn't get seated which mean only 2 of the 3 cylinders will be broken in that's why you should not use the LK for break-in

Like has been said don't use the learning key and vary the throttle. The most important thing about break-in is to get the rings seated in good, there's a short window of opportunity to do this. You have to build some heat to seat those rings, done by short WOT bursts. You don't want to do extended WOT on a fresh engine but short bursts are necessary to build enough heat to seat the rings.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information