Skat 3 Blade or Solas 15/20.

Some of you have tried both and I don't want to throw $ away. Interested in some info. I am now turning a 15/20R at 8350 running around 76. If I went to the right Skat 3 blade (have no idea of what pitch is needed) what would the outcome be. I am interested in top speed only! I will give up hole shot and mid. Any true comparison would be appreciated.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i used to be into TOP SPEED ONLY at any and all costs... but once you get a tease of sick acceleration, no top speed will bring back the adrenaline of raw acceleration... u'll see!!

but this wasn't to answer your question as i've never tried a 3-blader

Re: Skat 3 Blade or Solas 15/20.

Quote Originally Posted by festus
    Some of you have tried both and I don't want to throw $ away. Interested in some info. I am now turning a 15/20R at 8350 running around 76. If I went to the right Skat 3 blade (have no idea of what pitch is needed) what would the outcome be. I am interested in top speed only! I will give up hole shot and mid. Any true comparison would be appreciated.
    I have run both and here are the results:
    15/20R 73.1 @ 8150

3 Blade 72.1 @ 8250 RPM's with 82 mm ring
    3 Blade 72.4 banging the limiter with 83 mm ring

Both tested out of the box. Once I get my engine back from Nils I will test the 3 blade with the 83 mm ring because I sent it to Jerry for a bend. Bad thing about that now is that I should not have put a bend in it because I want to be running about 8550 once i get it back together.

Keep in mind, this is all done on my 04 GTX and if I had the correct pitch in the 15/20, I probably would have seen 74 +++ with ease...

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    i used to be into TOP SPEED ONLY at any and all costs... but once you get a tease of sick acceleration, no top speed will bring back the adrenaline of raw acceleration... u'll see!!

AMEN!!! to that steve

talking about sick accel, today i holeshot everything that i found in the water including a BB triple piper Gpr a stage II RXP and a few moded XLT 's, nothing compare to this adrenaline rush , NOTHING!!!

Red devil, which prop gave you the best acceleration? the 4 blade solas or the 3 blade scat? just curious, thanks

Ray

what was the accelleration like with the 3 blade compared to the solas 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485

but this wasn't to answer your question as i've never tried a 3-blader

Thats why I have 2! Never said I don't like acceleration. Thanks for the info. Would like more though.

Both of my RXP's lost top speed with the 3 blade but I did not spin the prop off the line any more.

Quote Originally Posted by GPR/STX-15F/RXT
    Red devil, which prop gave you the best acceleration? the 4 blade solas or the 3 blade scat? just curious, thanks

Ray
    Ray,

The 3 blade gave me better acceleration and the Solas top end, "HANDS DOWN" It is like having the best of both worlds. Just depends what you are in the mood for.

Festus - I have run both extensively and Jay is absolutely correct. The Solas 4 blade will give you more top. Period. (1+ mph for me). The Skat is the closed course champion though. Always has and always will. As Steve says, the acceleration is very addicting.
    One other note: the 3 blade seemed to run a little rougher than the 4 blade. I tested both when I was running a stock pump and I was actually nervous that my single bearing setup was going to give out with the Skat in there. People on the site have called it "harmonics". The 3 blade is not as fluid when it spins...I would not plan on running it for a long time in a modifiied craft w/out the Skat 3 bearing mod. Just my .02.

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by BDNJ
    Festus - I have run both extensively and Jay is absolutely correct. The Solas 4 blade will give you more top. Period. (1+ mph for me). The Skat is the closed course champion though. Always has and always will. As Steve says, the acceleration is very addicting.
    One other note: the 3 blade seemed to run a little rougher than the 4 blade. I tested both when I was running a stock pump and I was actually nervous that my single bearing setup was going to give out with the Skat in there. People on the site have called it "harmonics". The 3 blade is not as fluid when it spins...I would not plan on running it for a long time in a modifiied craft w/out the Skat 3 bearing mod. Just my .02.

Brendan

Thats the kind of info I like! Thanks!!!!!!!!

Thread Information