what do u think about a seadoo speedster 96-97 model??

jus wonderin what everyone thought is it a good boat? r they relilable? hard or expensive to repair? mainly the 1996 an 1997 model thats what im intrested in i read somewhere that somethin goes wrong in a 95 and cant b fixed..... so i was wonderin is it the same in the 96 an 97. really could use some good info cuz this is my first jet boat purchase need a little help!!!!

If you have the budget, i would stay away of the older ones with 2 strokes engine, and would buy a 4 stroke engine newer one.

But if not, just make sure the one you are looking at was really well maintained, because TWIN 2 strokes engines could potentially cost a bunch to repair and maintain.....down size of 2 strokes is engines noisy, injection oil smoke and smell, 2 stroke engine wearing faster than a 4 stroke, and gas guzzler too (cost a bunch of gaz if you factor in the cost of 2 stroke injection oil for 2 engines as well).

But peoples that have them and that have good condition boats really like the nimble feel they have carving the curves on the water, and the top-speed/acceleration was quite impressive too in those little boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
    But if not, just make sure the one you are looking at was really well maintained, because TWIN 2 strokes engines could potentially cost a bunch to repair and maintain.....down size of 2 strokes is engines noisy, injection oil smoke and smell, 2 stroke engine wearing faster than a 4 stroke, and gas guzzler too (cost a bunch of gaz if you factor in the cost of 2 stroke injection oil for 2 engines as well).
    Been there, still doin all that

Jeep you have a very good point. I bought a 98 Challenger 1800 for a good price and had to dump a few G's in it. Anyway it runs great now.
    But the only thing about it. If I had to repower it later down the road. The price of two 787 two strokes short blocks is still cheaper then one short block 4 stroke.

Fun boats

You may want to focus on the 97-02 models. The 96 is potentially the fastest of all of them. But no spoters seat and wimpy little battery.
    97 and up twins had single carb per motor. Much easier to tune. I would
    plan on going through any boat you buy that old. Oil lines should be replaced.
    Fuel lines should be replaced, carbs rebuilt, etc. Engine alignment/carrier seals/carbon ring should be checked out. 99 and up are significantly quieter.
    Makes a difference at the end of a day on the water. Good Luck!

just picked up a 1996 speedster and had it out for the first time and it ran 49.8 mph on gps. Fun little boat. Carves and spins like crazy. Also comes out of the hole real well too.

Quote Originally Posted by herndonb85 View Post
    jus wonderin what everyone thought is it a good boat? r they relilable? hard or expensive to repair? mainly the 1996 an 1997 model thats what im intrested in i read somewhere that somethin goes wrong in a 95 and cant b fixed..... so i was wonderin is it the same in the 96 an 97. really could use some good info cuz this is my first jet boat purchase need a little help!!!!
    I have a 97 Speedster. Never had a problem with it EVER. I just do the regular maintenance and that's it. I can't complain. Not bad for an 11 year old boat. I do want to upgrade to a 20 footer but I have to say that I have serious respect for my little boat. I can't imagine one better.

Had a 1997 Speedster for several years. Used SeaDoo synthetic oil 100%. Great boat, however it did like to drink the gas. Ran strong. Pulled tubes / skiiers for many years. (Got 5 skiers up once) Showed 60 mph on the speeedo, although I'm sure it was not accurate. No trouble at all until 1100 hours. Then one moter went. Rebuilt. Never ran right again. Then just as suddenly the other motor went. Dropped $4k into the boat, and was lucky to get $5k out of it.

Now running 2007 SCIC. Generally pleased. Spending some money on wear rings, SC rebuild...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Brown View Post
    Had a 1997 Speedster for several years.
    ...No trouble at all until 1100 hours. Then one motor went. Rebuilt. Never ran right again.
    Then just as suddenly the other motor went...
    One thousand one hundred hours on 2-stroke engines?
    Wow.

Talking The 720 is an animal

I have heard stories of them lasting 4-500 hrs. Mercury V6 jets and outboards get 1000 hrs. So, it does happen. 1100 hrs? That is one long
    lived 720.

Thread Information