lean condition may need to reset the TPS SENSOR

hey guys i could use some advice,my dealer changed my regular spark plugs to the denso iridium ixu27 and noticed that the tip of the plugs are white in color and it is supposed to be brown in color.

my mecanic thinks i am running lean so he called technical support just to be certin and tech support said that i may need to bring the machine to reset the TPS SENSOR which will reset the computer.

what do you guys think?

i will not be in town until the end of the week but any answers before i bring it in to the dealear will be appreciated.

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    i thought you can't just reset it, the entire ecu would need to be reflashed.

sounds more like a fuel delivery issue.
    pump going out.
    cloged filter in tank
    clogged lines
    clogged injector.
    bad gas.
    oh ya, if you ingested water your plug tips would have shown white ash too.
    we have been removing tps's and messing with tb's for a while now and havn't ever heard of his happening. you need to look at everything else before you let them mess with resetting shit. they just don't "lose" there settings for no reason. and you would notice it in perforance lose. so if it turning propper rpm with no lose anywhere then id say your mech is crazy.
    and if you were running lean it would run hot and the overheat sensor should pick it up also. or you would have allready melted you rear exhaust hose.

to add to what Daniel said, the only thing that I can think of when the tech told you that is, maybe they want to check the value/range of the TPS, it should be zero, and the only time I heard of re-setting the TPS was when you replaced an ecu with a new un-used ecu to mate it to the TB/TPS so the new ecu recognizes the TPS value, which again should be zero...

most of the tips of the plugs will be whitish in color, look down into insulator base to get proper color, and then there would be a procedure for correct plug reading like: running wot, then immediately shutting down and reading the plugs...

thanks rapidacceleration and pale rider the tech called BRP AND THEY SAID THE SAME THING just reset the TPS sensor it does not hurt a thing.
    i was at PPG in florida and spoke with vlad he said it souldn't hurt nothing also it will only reset it at zero.so far this is my first ski that i modefy and ive ownned 2 other kinds and so far so good i try and listin to any advise before i do anything.i will try to call riva and see what they say.

sounds more like a fuel delivery issue.
    pump going out.
    cloged filter in tank
    clogged lines
    clogged injector.
    bad gas.
    i will look into those things ski is running fine actually 73.9mph the only water i ingested was at my 9th hr rear plastic exaust 90 degree angle craked i got over 170hrs now.

i do not get any heat sensor or anything else but before i started modding ski plugs were brown in color like every other ski in there shop my tech is an amazing guy and he is just trying to help me avoid any problems.

thanks guys if you think of anything else please let me know i will wait on reseting it for now time to make couple of phone calls.

my IXU 27's are white too, installed them when I did the air intake. Let us know if you determine it to be a problem.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXX
    my IXU 27's are white too, installed them when I did the air intake. Let us know if you determine it to be a problem.
    ditto... no matter where i look on the insulator, they are pretty damn white, but then again i dunno the first thing about reading a spark plug

i will definetly keep you guys updated with this.

i don't know anything also about spark plugs either.

we need to bring our skis to the experts to diagnose this issue,from having any future problems.

Thread Information