Jetski Brake And Brake Light System

the owner of my local dealership developed and brake system and an LED brake light for jet skis. His plan is to go to the US congress and try to have them mandate them on all new jet skis.

The brake light is an LED light bar, about 6 inches long and its about the size of a straw in diameter. the light is activated when the throttle is let all the way out after being under power, or when the brake handle is pulled. The light works great, I've seen it for myself.

Im not too sure about the brake system. He says when the brake handle on the handle bars (like a dirt bike) is pulled it will push a plate down on the bottom of the ski (like a trim tab) but to me it seems like you'd be throwing it into reverse at 65 mph. so we'll see about this, ill report back when i get some more info, ill bring pics.

I've seen the brake light too, it seems like a good idea. I've also seen the "brakes", not to sure about them either, I've experienced reverse at 40mph, "experimenting", and it did not turn out good. I have a rear exhaust anyway, the exit would be in the way.

yea to me, the brakes are just to put you over the handlebars. i think the brake light is a good idea, especially for un experienced riders, but the brakes are a death trap.

you have got to be kidding me, your buddie just wants to get them passed so he can sell the shit out of them. but that's the dumbest thing i'v ever heard. Make each ski cost more money too. Don't follow DIRECTLY BEHIND A SKI, stay off to the side 10 feet, its not a freakin highway lol. Jetskies don't need breaks either. You give it gas, and turn. Even if it had breaks it would take longer to stop, then it would to give it gas and turn around. And like he said, iv had a couch on the water and put the sucker in reverse going only like 15 mph, SUBMERGED. It would take forever to stop any other way.

If you had a lever for BREAK LIGHTS, people would pull that just by instinct thinking it will stop them. and then WAM BAM lol.

Break light would work if it went on whenever your not on the throttle. Have the dealer just sell them like that. See if there's any takers.
    Last edited by bobsaggot; 03-21-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaggot View Post
    you have got to be kidding me, your buddie just wants to get them passed so he can sell the shit out of them. but that's the dumbest thing i'v ever heard. Make each ski cost more money too. Don't follow DIRECTLY BEHIND A SKI, stay off to the side 10 feet, its not a freakin highway lol. Jetskies don't need breaks either. You give it gas, and turn. Even if it had breaks it would take longer to stop, then it would to give it gas and turn around.
    right on

+1
    It would work well if you ride your ski during the night.....

im just putting the idea out there. i know the guy, he's a snake and he'll do anything to rip somebody off and make a buck. You're all right, i think the actual brake idea is terrible, more people would get hurt using them anyways. even for an unexperienced rider, more of a burden than good. the 1st mod to do then would be to make a block off kit.

Thread Information