Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1

'06 GPR Rough Water Setup

Okay fellas, I've decided to set my GPR up for my conditions which are bay/ocean riding which are usually pretty choppy. It's a rec ski so no need for the extreme stuff but I'd like it to not unhook so easily and fly off the waves. I know I will loose speed but I'd like to retain some up top fun if possible. I already have the requisite GPR initial safety mods.

So far my plan looks as such from my searches (and Philip's excellent posts):

Shredmaster ride plate
    XL1200 3-degree exit nozzle
    Worx grate
    Pro-Tec steering nozzle (for reliability)
    Longer tabs

So the questions I have so far:

1. What skis can I get the XL nozzle from? Are all XL/XLT nozzles 3-degree and the right diameter?

2. Worx grate: I currently run an R&D 1200 grate with 3 hours on it. Is this grate good/decent for this or do I REALLY need the extra digging power of the worx?

3. Tabs a huge must or just slightly help?

4. Anything else missing on that list for a nice, mild rough water rec setup? Am I overkilling it with these plans?

Any other thoughts and discussion are welcome to help me choose the right setup.

Thanks, fellas!

+1

Cool

I'd get the stock tap(old styled metal) and shim down approx. .160 (will save some money that way) stock plate runs well in rough stuff BUT shred would be nice.yes 99 xlt or after that any xl power valve motor ski will do(makes big diff.) I'd stick with stock sponson just stepped
    1200 intake works fine for me(but we have seen many fail so keep checking till SST one come out they can be mod for rough stuff, prop I like to run something a little short for good low speed response(make it easy to loft over the wave a speed ,you should be getting on/off the throttle anyways,will keep crank from spinning-hopefully

later cd

+1
    I'd suggest you get the worx grate just for the fact it won't break

+1
    a keyway will always help....best mod that i've done. i ride in choppy water as well so i set up my ski for acceleration....it's an arm ripper...but yet i still have some top end.

+1
    Skat pump, preferrably a 12 or 14 vein w/ swirl..the ultimate in hook-up, you will be amazed.

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    Thanks for the replies.

Does the keyway require any supporting mods on the EFI boats? I'm assuming it requires 93 octane as well...

Haha Pistonwash I'm not ready to commit to a Skat pump but I'll surely keep my eyes open on any too-good-to-refuse deals. So for the stock '06 pump, what prop is best for my goal?

Philip, I'll keep an eye out for the Worx grate. Overton's has 'em for $119 new before taxes and shipping.

Thanks again guys. Keep the ideas and thoughts coming.

Moderated
    on my 06 i have the following

shred plate
    stepped sponsons
    1200 grate

it loves the rough stuff, i did a nice open water test with it last weekend and when i pushed her she just pulled away from the rest of the crew and stuck to the water. it did unhook every now and then but nothing like a stock setup, it would be fair to say the reduction in unhooking was around 75% less.

I will put a 3 degree nozzle on it when i get around to it but that will be about it for this ski for the time being.

worx grate

i have this one fitted since a few weeks ,hook up is amazing but i have lost 20 mph according to the dreamometer !!!!!!!!!!!! can someone explain what 3 degrees nozzle is and does?

+1
    you can run a keyway without 93 octane. but a efi contoller would help. if you raise the compression then you would need 93 oct.

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nobbyq View Post
    i have this one fitted since a few weeks ,hook up is amazing but i have lost 20 mph according to the dreamometer !!!!!!!!!!!! can someone explain what 3 degrees nozzle is and does?
    gpr has 5 deg (up) nozzle

xl has 3 deg so less likey to have nose up attitude makes it stick better

and yes you will see different speed using dreamometer
    with other plates ,GPS only way to go

later cd

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information