Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie stuff

Newbie stuff

OK guys I have a 98 XPL and a 98 GSXL one will be for me the other for my GF. Obviously I want the faster one when riding with my buddies. Both are stock except as follows.

98 XPL has an aftermarket impeller not sure yet of the size

I am thinking from some of the stuff on here about riding the XP myslef it also has a new motor. I read some of the groupK stuff as well as the PPG stuff both make kits for my engine small level one stuff. One recommends FA the other says use stock. What have you guys seen. I am not looking to race, but I love performance.

PS there is also some question on what to expect stock from these. According to groupK we are talking about 62 MPH stock for the GSXL and 63 about for the XPL my buddy has one stock 99 and he ran 65 on GPS. What should I see stock and real world numbers from a impeller swap and what can I look for in a dependable level one kit?

+1
    check this thread out. Top Notch information.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...hlight=yudluz2

+1
    imho, dont do F/A's on the XP they would open up the intake for better performance, bt they sit directly under the exhaust manifold flange that is prone to leaking)
    and in the XP hull, which rides low in the water and is a very wet ride, the hull gets more water inside than other hulls.
    the carbs sit very low in the XP 951 configuration, and are prone to water injestion from the bilge splash also.
    So F/A's are not a great idea on this ski.
    the GSX does not have as big a problem with water ingestion as the XP, because the hull is alot dryer, higher out of the water
    imho get aftermarket impellers for both, with new wear rings(of courseif the one you have is in great condition, and is sized correct, just look it over) get aftermarket sponsons for each, maybe aftermarket intake grates.
    these 3 will really help with handling, then go ride see how fast you are and how you like performance... these are not slow skis to begin with!!
    then look at engine performance mods.
    also rememeber the speedometer is not accurate, if you want true speed #'s get a GPS, more important, get peak RPM #'s, and always check you are still hitting them on each ride.
    when you are flying across the water at 6950RPM it doesnt matter if you are doing 60mph or 63mph, but you should notice if your RPM's are only 6500, or slugish.
    also pay close attentuion to cavitation, it is a indication of impeller/pump problems and will rob you of power across the whole RPM range.
    even a great tuned engine with performance mods, will not go fast without a damage free pump.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    XPL hulls are very dry, if you do two simple things. On your 98 XP, plug the front two vent holes under the hood, next to the hinge. Rip off the (excuse for a seal) factory weatherstrip under the front tray and replace with a good 5/8" wide strip of Armaflex tape, available at your local HVAC supply house.

My 2000 XP stays dry, in saltwater, even in extreme wave jumping. The salt would evaporate on the engine if it was getting wet...no salt.

I run Fly's with no outerwears and have had no water ingestion.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 03-22-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo on year

+1
    sorry but xpl hulls are not very dry...
    you say it like they are dryer than the average hull.
    they are not why do you think they are the ONLY hull with an electric bilge??
    the waterline on a XPL is literlly almost above the rubrail at idle, and every turn you do water comes over the front of the ski/footwells. gsx doesnt hav eeither of those problems, only ski wetter than a XPL is a HX or a standup...
    the average joe need to know that ina XPL hull water ingestion is an issue with open F/A's.
    implyng that running without outerwears is okey dokey isnt good advice either. everybody i know keeps them on, these are standup guys and blaster guys, getting drenched very ride. its a little extra protection when water gets in your hull.
    we prefer to spend our summers riding, not rebuilding, plus it costs alot of money if you cant do the work yourself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    sorry but xpl hulls are not very dry...
    you say it like they are dryer than the average hull.
    they are not why do you think they are the ONLY hull with an electric bilge??
    the waterline on a XPL is literlly almost above the rubrail at idle, and every turn you do water comes over the front of the ski/footwells. gsx doesnt hav eeither of those problems, only ski wetter than a XPL is a HX or a standup...
    the average joe need to know that ina XPL hull water ingestion is an issue with open F/A's.
    implyng that running without outerwears is okey dokey isnt good advice either. everybody i know keeps them on, these are standup guys and blaster guys, getting drenched very ride. its a little extra protection when water gets in your hull.
    we prefer to spend our summers riding, not rebuilding, plus it costs alot of money if you cant do the work yourself.
    I assume your responding to 96xpss. Nowhere did I see him say it was dyer then the average hull but I might need reading glasses by now.

It sounded to me like he was just giving some tips on how to keep the XPL dryer inside and protect from water injestion. Did I miss something?

My wifes XPL is always bone dry inside but I've taken some measurements to aid with this and we don't ride in the surf. It sees about 80hrs a year running wide open.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Yeah... lextoy doesn't read very well. If you read my post again...slowly this time, then you will see the main problem with this hull is the tray seal.

In 2000 they eliminated the holes I mentioned plugging on the 98.

If you owned this hull...then consider yourself an expert. Otherwise...your opinion is based solely on others experiences. Did they reaseal their tray with the tape I mentioned? Things that make you go hmm...

Come to Sebastian, FL next month for some of the best surf jumping you can do. I'll let you look at the inside of my hull after we get in. Or...the next morning...after the salt had time to dry.

Outerwears are for non-mechanics. Real tuners can tell when their engine is sucking water, and back out accordingly. Plus they kill your holeshot. Just a little experience sharing from someone who's done it, not their buddy...
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 03-22-2008 at 05:43 PM.

All good info I have been doing alot of reading and some guys say to plug the front holes while others say put an extension piece in there to make the seal better. The one thing I did notice was the front hood hinge had some cracks and had been repaired some. He said this was common on the XP models. I am thinking about trying to find a used hood on Ebay or somewhere. Should I block the holes (and if I do do I need to make others bigger for air) or should I try the flex hose fix? He also mentioned abou the electric bilge it comes on every so foten just to make sure the hull is dry right?
    What should I look for in wear ring damage or wear? I want to have these perfect running when summer hits

+1
    i now own a xpdi. also owned a gsx. and spx, and vxr and spi and gtx sc, and sxi pro.
    951 was the most sensitive engine seadoo ever made, anyone remember that??? i am being nice when i say sensitive. his is a 98.
    it also sounds like he is a newbie, since his title is "Newbie post"
    we dont all have decades of mechanical experience on these skis.
    so maybe tempting fate and flirting with water ingestion with a 98 951 isnt the smartest advice.
    can someone please rank all the seadoo hulls for dryness??
    i think XP is at or near the bottom of the list...
    the xpl hull design and the way the engine lays make the XPL water ingestion prone especially with F/A's and no outerwears??
    more so than any other 951 ski.
    we are not all custom engine builders, VE920, but we are all not mechanical idiots either. my advice to a newbie is to play it safe and not score his new skis out on the first ride.
    reading and learning about skis is valuable i dont need to ride every single ski ever made to know what good points and bad points they have. having a crew of buds with all differnt skills and skis is better than me thinking and doing and fixing everything all by myself.
    thats why we are on this forum in the first place.
    why are we always arguing on this 2 stroke forum???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    i now own a xpdi. also owned a gsx. and spx, and vxr and spi and gtx sc, and sxi pro.
    951 was the most sensitive engine seadoo ever made, anyone remember that??? i am being nice when i say sensitive. his is a 98.
    it also sounds like he is a newbie, since his title is "Newbie post"
    we dont all have decades of mechanical experience on these skis.
    so maybe tempting fate and flirting with water ingestion with a 98 951 isnt the smartest advice.
    can someone please rank all the seadoo hulls for dryness??
    i think XP is at or near the bottom of the list...
    the xpl hull design and the way the engine lays make the XPL water ingestion prone especially with F/A's and no outerwears??
    more so than any other 951 ski.
    we are not all custom engine builders, VE920, but we are all not mechanical idiots either. my advice to a newbie is to play it safe and not score his new skis out on the first ride.
    reading and learning about skis is valuable i dont need to ride every single ski ever made to know what good points and bad points they have. having a crew of buds with all differnt skills and skis is better than me thinking and doing and fixing everything all by myself.
    thats why we are on this forum in the first place.
    why are we always arguing on this 2 stroke forum???

K....

I must be getting old because I swear the guy was asking how to make his 2 boats better, not how to get rid of. No one is fighting here that I know of, just helping a fellow member out.

The XPL is my favorite boat in the fleet and can easily be made a very safe and dry boat.

There was also some sort of upgrade onthe exhaust manifold to pipe connection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information