Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Exclamation Broken Riva Intake Grate (RXP) Please READ THIS!!

I pulled my Riva grate to do some work on it and on the pump tunnel and found a problem ... altho all the bolts were in and secure, I could push the back right side of the grate up ... thought that was weird so I pulled it off. I found that the (very thin) part of the grate under the middle bolt was entirely cracked out and gone. Not good since in theory that would add quite a bit of support since it bolts into the metal tab of the rideplate.

So, you may want to try to not only pull down on your grate, but push up on it as well ... I also wondered if anybody else had this happen? Something to keep an eye on since some people have ripped out grates/inserts since the inserts are only into the plastic of the pump support/shoe.

I ordered the R&D girdle and another Riva grate and will be doing some work to make sure the grate and pump shoe are solid.

Good catch Vern. Would not have wanted to hear about your grate getting pulled out at speed. I'll have to take a look at mine when I get a chance next month.

+1
    it is paper thin there and I have seen it twice....could be very unsettling at speed

Yeah i went through 2 grates - Finally went with the girdle kit- Works amazing now problems yet!

I am going to sticky this for a while, good tip from Vern to go check your grates.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Vern, do you have a pic of the grate?

+1
    I do, but it is at home and I won't be there until late Sunday most likely ... I will try to post it when I can. Basically the paper thin casting under the middle bolt was just completely gone, leaving a hole the same diameter all the way through ... zero clamping surface left.

I am surprised other people have not had their grates pull right out of the shoe more often, especially on the very fast RXPs ... that whole arrangement is not strong at all. I will not ride again until I install the R&D girdle kit and mod my grate to utilize that. Altho I have a new Riva grate I might weld the hole in the other grate, then re-drill it to accept a flush-mount screw rather than the large head bolt which requires too deep a recess. I wish the pump support/shoe was aluminum rather than plastic ... the shape is all wrong, its not strong enough, the inserts can pull out ... oh well, the girdle will help but I am also going to put some carbon fiber and epoxy resin in the pump tunnel when I am done for additional support.

+1
    i ride fast in lots of choppy water, had it that way for two season no issues, i guess i'm glad the girdle kit is in the tool box ready to go on

I have personally seen 3 broken Riva intake grates so far.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I think Steve (Shibby) had the same thing happen to one of his grates last year. I was just wanting to see the same thing. I think he sold it for like $60 on eBay so you can at least get some recoup out of it. I was going to get it to try some different mounting options to solve both problems (thin material and inserts). Basically marry the Riva grate and R&D girdle together.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information