Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Power! Polaris slxh 1050

I am new here and thought maybe I could get more top speed above factory. After reading these posts, I think I just need to get proper factory power back. I am reading above 60 mph factory speeds. I bought it in 2000 with 52 hours. At sea level riding, I have never been above 56 mph. I never really noticed a problem, because I was always beating any Sea- Doo that tried to race me. The last few years, I have been lucky to get 52 mph tops. I noticed a huge problem with it stalling out and sputtering at a lake that is warm, with outside temperatures above 85 degrees F. I was told to use a different plug. That did help for whatever reason. Now I can't even remember what the factory plug is, or the gap? So what is the proper plug, and why has my factory machine never topped 56mph? Not to mention 4 mph loss in the same lakes over the last five years.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

I would say check compression.

Next check the condition of the jet pump and impeller.

Manual can be found here.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38870

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. Great places to start looking for performance loss. ^^^^

+1
    Hi 22, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    WELCOME TO THE HULK
    You found the BEST place to make your ride fast
    the people are ok also....J/K THESE GUYS KICK AZZ we would all love to see some pics of her
    enjoy and have fun
    mattman

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Other than working the speed up, anything else that needs attention?
    Is your MFD working properly?

Are you happy with the ride, handling?

my Polaris

Well K447 asked me about my thoughts and feelings on this watercraft, so here they are. At this time, I moved to a lake community so it's time to take watersports more seriously. A guy I work with got to talking to me about 75 mph plus on whatever he rides, and directed me here. I was considering a new Sea-Doo, but have decided that a boat is a better waste of money. I am keeping the Polaris, since I can't afford both. I hate that it is purple, it is too loud for what's out there now, it sucks on gas, it's looking outdated, it's cranky when it's cold or in extremely hot weather, and reverse doesn't work because the cable is broken. What about the positive- hmm, well it has good acceleration, it's comfortable, and handles well. All in all, if it was worth any money I would get a new one. I understand Polaris threw in the towel for watercraft, so I guess Sea-Doo, or anything else that doesn't spit a fountain of water out the back. So I am getting a Katana custom boat built, and just want to make the Polaris better, for as cheap as possible. I do believe I may have impeller problems because I have sucked up more than one rock on the river. That explains the 4mph loss, but how did the original owner wreck it with just 52 hours on it? What about the stalling out at low speeds in really hot weather on warm lakes? What is the stock plug and gap, I can't remember and I need to get some for summer?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You said you moved. From where to where? Elevation changes could affect jetting needs. May have something to do with the cold and hot weather performance problems. Hot weather will affect jetting needs as well as the possible elevation changes. If you're compression is low, and your pump is not in good shape you will lose performance for sure. It's easy to remove the pump for inspection and doesn't require buying anything to do so.

Spark plug NGK BPR8ES at 24-28 thousandths
    Last edited by xlint89; 03-22-2008 at 11:36 AM.

So?

Hey Fireboy, don't be so down on the 1050 man. You gave alot of reasons to be hatin' how about some for the good.
    It's yours. (not a loan companies and yours)
    You can have a pwc and a boat by keeping it instead of "upgrading?"
    If you pay close attention to the deals and the experts here you could have the fastest 1050 on the lake for just a little money.
    As for the purple, who really cares what color your riding when you go by them?!!!
    Get your ski running good and reliable. Make it as fast or quick as it can be and be happy you live on a lake!
    The next time you talk to the 75mph talker at work, ask him how many dollars per mile he spends when he rides. Your old purple ski will look like a golden nugget when you do the math!!
    Enjoy the ride!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You are measuring your speeds with a GPS - correct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information