Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Uh Oh Something went Pop

I put about 5 gallons of fresh gas in the tank, checked the oil level and put my ski in the water for the first time since winterization. I let it warm up at the dock for about 3 minutes. I took it out and ran it slow for about 1/2 mile and then got it up on plane and ran it at about 30-40mph for about 3-5 minutes. Everything looked OK so I hit WOT and it slowly came up to 60mph. It took a long time getting there. And then I heard a "POP!" and the engine tripped out went down to about 3,500rpms. It would not come up to full speed again or anywhere near full speed. Since I was delivering my ski to my dealer's house I just rode it at about 20mph the rest of the way and we put it on his trailer. He is going to do all the Kawi recalls this weekend. On the trailer, he checked the oil tube and it was full of oil. He said he was going to remove the intercooler and flush it and then change the plugs. I think I could have trashed the supercharger or destroyed a ring. Has anybody had this problem?

Sounds like a major SC failure. Small chance it could be spark plugs or spark plug wires.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    I'd say it sound like your belt was slipping, got hot, and snapped.

You say it took a long time to get to 60 and did not indicate any other odd symptoms is my logic.

For months now i've been thinking we need a cogged belt/pulleys. I figured i'd let the cat out of the bag now so somebody else can produce...all i ask is for a discount for the idea

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Sounds like a major SC failure. Small chance it could be spark plugs or spark plug wires.
    Ughhhh! Well at least it is warranted.

+1
    so i take it you've ruled out the belt?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post

You say it took a long time to get to 60 and did not indicate any other odd symptoms is my logic.

For months now i've been thinking we need a cogged belt/pulleys. I figured i'd let the cat out of the bag now so somebody else can produce...all i ask is for a discount for the idea
    +1

E, that's true the Belt is always suspect but I assumed Phil didn't have alot of hours on the boat and the Belt should still be ok. Plus that would be really easy for him to check; just pop the seat and put an index finger on the belt (engine stopped of course!) What I have heard, and seen in some cases, is that if the boat is sitting idle for some time, like winterization, the SC isn't too happy with that. Some moisture gets on the blades and tends to "corrode up" a bit. Even if I am not riding I always make sure I at least start the boat every few weeks or so just to keep things "moving". Obviously that process would be harder for folks way north or east coast were winterization is common. But I just think that a marine engine sitting for "months" at time without running can bring up some moisture related issues. I am not an expert on winterization so I don't know too much about it. But it's true that I have seen other types of boats down at the harbor where I keep my sailboat, try to start the engine after months, or God forbid years, and the motors are ruined.

I think there is an SOP (standard operating procedure) from KAW that talks about what to do to the SC if the boat is going to lay idle for a long time . . .

+1
    so i take it you've ruled out the belt?
    I told the dealer to check the belt. He said he would this week when he removes the intercooler for flushing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    E, that's true the Belt is always suspect but I assumed Phil didn't have alot of hours on the boat and the Belt should still be ok. Plus that would be really easy for him to check; just pop the seat and put an index finger on the belt (engine stopped of course!) What I have heard, and seen in some cases, is that if the boat is sitting idle for some time, like winterization, the SC isn't too happy with that. Some moisture gets on the blades and tends to "corrode up" a bit. Even if I am not riding I always make sure I at least start the boat every few weeks or so just to keep things "moving". Obviously that process would be harder for folks way north or east coast were winterization is common. But I just think that a marine engine sitting for "months" at time without running can bring up some moisture related issues. I am not an expert on winterization so I don't know too much about it. But it's true that I have seen other types of boats down at the harbor where I keep my sailboat, try to start the engine after months, or God forbid years, and the motors are ruined.

I think there is an SOP (standard operating procedure) from KAW that talks about what to do to the SC if the boat is going to lay idle for a long time . . .
    Looks like he didn't look around much and dragged it to the dealer ASAP. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but we can't help him much at this point. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Always check the simple stuff first.

Funny, things is like electrical problems....always check the batt connections and ground path first....I can't tell you how many times this has been the case and could have saved so much greif for so many.

Back on the SC, We've seen some pics of rusted up pulleys that would certainly play hell on a slipping belt too.

The issues with lack of corrosion prevention i think are only going to increase, particularly with the piggyback condenser R&D has that everyone is scooping up - I suspect. I would be an advocate to support fogging oil applied to the intake path regularly as a preventive measure.

I look forward to hearing what was going on here. My best to you Phil...hope it is nothing major.

+1
    ES,
    The piggyback can has a fitting at the top that is for the hose that runs back to the intake. I don't know if it lets as much oil go to the intake tract as the stock setup does. I'm gonna switch the hose that came with my R-Rated intake to the hose you sent me. If i see a little oil film in the new hose, I guess the piggyback can does let a little oil blow through like the stock setup.
    Last edited by Beagleman62; 03-22-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information