+1

Fire Department wants a Jet Ski

BOW OKs For Fire Dept. To Apply For Grant

Jennifer Peryam
    Times-Union Staff Writer

Warsaw Board of Public Works and Safety Thursday approved for the Warsaw Fire Department to apply for a grant that will allow the department to replace exhaust systems at its fire stations.

The two fire stations are on East Main and East Center streets.

The 2008 Assistance to Firefighters Grant is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

"Our current exhaust system is many years old and is inadequate," according to Warsaw Fire Chief Mike Rice.

"With our current operating system, the stations are still accumulating carbon monoxide levels that are unsafe to breath."

Rice said the exhaust system is used to capture the trucks' exhaust, evacuate it to the outside and minimize the health risk to station personnel.

The cost to replace both stations' exhaust systems will be approximately $100,000, of which $10,000 will be the fire department's responsibility.

The city's appropriation will be funded through its fire cumulative fund.

Rice also requested to apply for another grant to replace its fire engine. If the grant is awarded, the department will replace its 1986 fire engine.

The estimated cost to replace the engines, Rice said, is $450,000.

The board approved WFD applying for a Kawasaki Jet Ski Watercraft Public Safety Loan program. Rice said the watercraft would only be used on water rescue programs.

Kawasaki provides to public safety agencies the use of a jet ski for a period of up to 11 months.

The board also:

- Approved a contract between Wildman Uniform and Linen Service for a three-year rental contract for heat-resistant class two uniforms for nine employees.

- Approved a $3,840 contract between the Warsaw Parks Department and Signature Tree Co. Inc. for spraying of maple trees at Center and Pike lakes.

- Approved a $6,265 contract between the Wastewater Utility Facility office and Kiefer Consulting, Bremen, for soil sampling consulting services.

- Approved a $15,000 contract between Paradise Artists Inc. and the Warsaw Parks Department for Mickey Thomas, of Starship, for the Classic Rock Concert.

http://www.timesuniononline.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=224&ArticleID=31 981&TM=39840.98

This has been brought up at my station as well, paperwork is on someone's desk....

Marc

I know that dealers can get credit for $1 yearly leases to Fire Departments...

I had set up an agreement (before I moved from Wisconsin to Florida) for my Fire Department and the neighboring one for the yearly lease of 2 skis each for water rescue programs.

IT CAN BE DONE...

JP

Thanks for the encouragement, I know it can be done.I have my skis so soon they will see them be yanked around, then the fires will be burning

Were you or did they (your old department) have a Dive team?

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by MKaman View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, I know it can be done.I have my skis so soon they will see them be yanked around, then the fires will be burning

Were you or did they (your old department) have a Dive team?

Marc
    Ours didn't, but the other one did...
    JP

Thread Information