Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help...can't remove the carbon ring

I'm a new memeber having trouble replacing my carbon ring in a Seadoo Sportster 4-tec. I have the Seadoo tools to do the job...but no help understand how to use them. If there is anyone out there that can steer me to some photos or help in any way it would be deeply appreciated!

Welcome to the site, The Search function is going to be your best friend to get you started .

seadoo tool seems to be stuck

I can't back the seadoo tool off. Got the circlip out after spreading the bearing...do I leave the seadoo tool in place and remove the pump? Will the tension of the tool release at that point?

...well I got it off.

The face of the carbon ring is heavily scored. I'm sure this is my water leakage problem and loss of power. Question if anyone reads this...the face of my Floating ring (where it meets the Carbon ring) is very scored. Should I replace it?

Quote Originally Posted by 3dguy View Post
    The face of the carbon ring is heavily scored. I'm sure this is my water leakage problem and loss of power. Question if anyone reads this...the face of my Floating ring (where it meets the Carbon ring) is very scored. Should I replace it?
    Welcome to the board!
    Yes, in most preventative maintainance replacements ie: when you already have things apart and want to just replace the ring, but when the mating areas are scored heavily enough to cause leaks or run-out I would reccommend replacing carbon seal, supporting ring, clip and bellows. It`s the thickness of the carbon seal and the pressure from the bellows that keeps it water tight...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 03-22-2008 at 07:23 PM.

...hmmm, I wonder if its too far gone.

Thanks for the help. Since I'm a complete novice here...I'm not sure what whould be considered bad enought for replacement. The bellows are in good shape. The face of carbon ring have circular scores deep enough to create an air/water leak. The floating ring looks scored, but its hard to say if it would create a leak. I wonder if I posted some good photos of the surface, we could determine if it needs replacement. I have to return the Seadoo tool to the shop Monday morning...its a 100 mile drive.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dguy View Post
    Thanks for the help. Since I'm a complete novice here...I'm not sure what whould be considered bad enought for replacement. The bellows are in good shape. The face of carbon ring have circular scores deep enough to create an air/water leak. The floating ring looks scored, but its hard to say if it would create a leak. I wonder if I posted some good photos of the surface, we could determine if it needs replacement. I have to return the Seadoo tool to the shop Monday morning...its a 100 mile drive.
    If there is scoring or grooves in the supporting ring it will eat/grind down the new carbon seal in no time. My last carbon seal lasted all of 30 hours before it leaked like a stuck pig, so the next time i replaced everything and all was good!...

I was afraid of that...

Thanks! I was worried about that. I'll replace it. I don't want to have the boat apart in the middle of the boating season...now is the time to get it right. Thanks again for the help.

Hey guys, one question about the carbon ring.

My boat as already about 120 hours on it, everything looks fine, no cavitation, leaks whatsoever....but i was concerned about the carbon ring issue...when actually you guys change them...?

Is it a matter of number of hours or you just changed them as a preventive thing...?

Thanks for your hints.

Carbon ring

I'm not sure how to tell how many hours I have on my Sportster 4 tec. Its an '03 and I use it a lot. My problem cropped up after sucking too much mud and sand through the pump...from letting the boat sit on the beach, rocking back and forth from boat wakes. From now on I'll anchor the stern and string a bow line to the beach so the intake never touches the bottom. The boat was loosing power getting on to a plane and top end speed (caused by sucking air through the carbon ring). I was also taking on a bit of water while sitting and not running the motor.
    Last edited by 3dguy; 03-24-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information