Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP!!! 550sx cylinders scored and engine locked

i need some help, any help will be greatly appreciated. i just bought a 91 550 sx and the cylinders are scored pretty bad and the engine wont turn at all what can i do to fix it for the cheapest amount possible? please let me know email me at [email protected]

Find a good used engine??

+1
    if you do rebuild it, DO NOT cut corners. do it right the first time.

you need to break it down, and inspect the crank, ect. at best you'll need pistons, rings, pins, top end bearings, bore job, and gasket set.

you will find you'll probably have more into it than the ski is worth, BUT you will have a motor, you know is good, and should last a long time.

+1
    Amen Brother John,

It is always cheaper and quicker to do it right the first time.

Having said that, my $100 550 with a blown/seized engine, was a rock in the impleller. Pull the pump before you do anthing. The 440 / 550 series was prone to calcium build up behind the wear ring and that would seize the engine

i got it tore down and one cylinder is scared pretty deep and the top of the piston on that side is messed up too, the wrings on that piston wont move, the needle bearings on the rod on that pistion is sloppy and messed up where a shim is missing , the journal under that needle bearing is fried and the bearings to the left and right of that journal are shot also. At best i know i am going to have to get a new crank, rods, pistons, new or used bucket or sleeves, and new head. while its tore down and in pieces iam going to replace both pistons, cylinders, head and all gaskets maybe i wil even bore it out and put over sized pistons in it. let me know some ideas of how to go about

fyi- i paid $350 for the ski and trailer, was i screwed or was it an alright deal?

+1
    What kind of trailer?????? It could be worth the $350 right there.

Check ebay. think I saw a complete 650 SX engine for about $250

the trailer is practically brand new. its got new paint but no stickers on it to tell what kind it is new wiring kit, new lights, new ball receiver, freshly packed grease bearings and tires. what types of motors can i drop into this ski with out having to alter to much stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakixiss View Post
    the trailer is practically brand new. its got new paint but no stickers on it to tell what kind it is new wiring kit, new lights, new ball receiver, freshly packed grease bearings and tires. what types of motors can i drop into this ski with out having to alter to much stuff?
    Send John Zigler a PM to see if he has anything. He is awesome to do business with.

+1
    thanks ax!!

well, to be honest, you may want to consider throwing in the towel on this one. you will have more into your eng build than the ski is worth.

one positive thing about building the motor though, is you will know EXACTLY what you have when you are done.

you may want to find another ski, or another motor. ( sorry, i am out of 550 motors at the moment). you can do a 650, or 750 conversion, but they too can get pricey.

if you can find another 550 that runs good, but maybe looks ugly, you can build one good ski out of the two.

i can order parts for you, have your cyls machined, ect if you want.

good luck with your project. zig

i found a dude with a crank, rods, and cylinders on another forum,he says he will sell all of it to me for $70 the only thing is the cyliders have moisture rust in them but he says there are no scratches or marks in them. iam hoping i can hone the rust out and he also says that the crank and all the journals and bearings are good. last time it was in the ski which was a year ago it all ran fine he says. he and his brother apprently tore it down to use it for parts on another rebuild and never got back to reassembling that one. what do you guys think of this deal? all of the parts came off the same ski as mine and they were working a year ago and also iam asking if they dont work for me will he take them back and refund the money.
    second thing is i found a slightly used head on the same forum and he will take 89 for it shipped. tell me what you guys think i should do between buying good used parts or just go brand new on thewhole rebuild.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information