Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lockout - Machine Two

96 SLX 780 Machine two is tore down and appears to have suffered the same fate as the 1st machine. The rear piston has minor scratches on the side of it. No damage to the cylinder walls so I believe I can lightly sand and reuse this piston. Center cylinder looks fine. Piston is also fine. 1st cylinder (mag) is toast. Actually has a hole burned in the side of it. Cylinder has what appears to be positive metal on it (i will be able to better assess tomorrow (kinda too tired to think about it). Exhaust had a great deal of sludge in it and also in the 4 inch rubber boot between the Jpipe and the expansion chamber. It once again appears that maybe rust caused the issue or as was mentioned Hydro...fact is I just dont know what happened. Tank is now perfectly clean. Carbs perfectly clean. The sender float floats in gas and is back in the sender unit.

More to come on this machine. Im hoping I can clean these cylinders up good enough to reuse. Not sure what the acceptance criteria is ? Anyone have any insite on this please share. Positive note. I tore the whole sled down in less that 2 hours...its easy when you know what your doing.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like a case of another bad fuel pump. Hone the cylinders,don't sand them. Pictures please.

The mag cylinder is the worst. It also is the one that had the blown piston. The walls of the cylinder have some scratches but not too terribly deep. Not Ideal or perfect by any means but not horrible. I honed and cleaned up for the most part. Dont have a bore gage so not sure how far I can go. Already purchased a standard piston and ring kit so...Im thinking I can get by with this cylinder (or should say hoping) I figure I can bolt it in and check compression before reassembling the whole machine. If all three look within acceptable Im good otherwise i will have to get a new cylinder. The number on piston has scratches on one side of it. They are not deep either. Im thinking I can lightly sand and polish this (does anyone disagree?) There is no damage to the ring area and theoretically the piston never SHOULD touch the side of the cylider correct? The other two cylinders were perfect and now have beautiful cross hatching in them. Any thoughts for or against any of what i just wrote?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You can lightly sand the scratches out of the piston with fine sand paper.

You can always bore the cylinders if you don't want to buy another cylinder.

Already sanded the light scratches out of the piston and polished. It looks great. Wanted to keep the std size bore as the other two cylinders are std and already back in the machine with new rings. I didnt think you could have two standard and one oversized cylinders in the same machine? Or did you mean all three would have to oversized? Im sending this cyl in to a buddy to see if he can clean it up to the 2.815 ID dimension. If so, and I think it can be done...I will be all set with parts and have the second machine done in a night or two.

+1
    I meant you can bore all 3. BUT, it has been gone over a few times about 1 oversized piston. Although it's not recommended, a .25mm OS piston wouldn't be that bad.

I was thinking about that today...Aside from weight difference..I would think as long as the compression is about the same...it shouldnt matter....Then again...What the hell do I know about motors really? I dont even know what parts are called most times but I can tear into them look at them and figure out how they work and go together...

Anyway, Im hoping there is enough stock in this cylinder to rehone out the scratches and use the stk piston kit. Fingers crossed

+1
    Good luck.

A .25mm OS isn't going to add that much material in weight or compression if the stocker doesn't make it.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Good luck.

A .25mm OS isn't going to add that much material in weight or compression if the stocker doesn't make it.
    and if you are still worried about balance you could always move the over-sized cylinder to the center.

..... and still waiting for parts ~

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information