Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guns

Guns

I got a couple questions, about purchasing a firearm since its gona be my first one. I allready have my foid card, and i think this summer ill be taking a gun class to educate myself further. My first gun is most likley going to be a Handgun.

First, whats are some good websites to read up on them and to browse through them to make a decision on which one to purchase?

Second, what are some good brands to be looking at for a good first gun. I want a good reliable all around gun nothing fancy.

As of right now im really lost and dont even know where to start so any and all Input on the subject will be appreaciated. Thanks

+1
    Not sure that there is a web site that will offer you a unbiased opinion in regards to any brand of firearm. Just try to stay with some of the better known such as HK, Glock, Sig, Smith & Wesson etc.
    Do you have a caliber in mind, does your state restrict magazine capacity ? With the price of ammo now days a lot of people are starting to buy more of the 9mms. Around here the practice ammo for the 9mm pistols was $3.88 a box and up only 2 years ago, now the same ammo is $10.00 a box. For the 357 Sig, 40 and 45 auto you can usually double the price.

Of the brands that I mentioned the Glocks and Smith & Wesson M&P models will be the lower price. Extra magazines and parts are cheaper and easier to find for the Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    I got a couple questions, about purchasing a firearm since its gona be my first one. I allready have my foid card, and i think this summer ill be taking a gun class to educate myself further. My first gun is most likley going to be a Handgun.

First, whats are some good websites to read up on them and to browse through them to make a decision on which one to purchase?

Second, what are some good brands to be looking at for a good first gun. I want a good reliable all around gun nothing fancy.

As of right now im really lost and dont even know where to start so any and all Input on the subject will be appreaciated. Thanks

African-American
    +1
    Whats your primary reason for wanting a gun ?

Hunting, sport, target, self defence ... ?

If its for self defence, you want something that has a lot of stopping power. No point buying a 9mm, where itll take a good few shots to put someone down. You want something that will stop someone in their tracks, if they charge you with a knife. (50 (s&w 500), .44, .3

I recommend the S&W .38 Special revolver.

If you are into combat style shooting, then a glock will have you pretty much covered, though youll have to learn to double tap the trigger for self defence.

Modified 1911's make prety good sport shooters.

Hunting side, I prefer custom bolt action pistols that use rifle ammo.

The main thing, is you need to feel comfortable with it, dont buy something if you are scared of the recoil, or find the trigger too hard to pull.

+1
    Not sure what you load your 9mms with in South Africa, here we have the advantage of some of the best defense rounds ever. Stick to the big names in ammo for hollow points, CCI-Speer Golddot, Federal-HST and the Winchester Ranger lines. In all testing the best 9mm rounds will penetrate just as much as the 357,40 or 45.
    If you have the availbility in your area talk to the emergency room doctors, pathologists/medical examiners etc, they will tell you that the wound tract from a 9mm vs 45 auto are very similar and that usually would not be able to see the difference in them.

So overall it has more to do with shot placement, they both have the required amount of penetration. Just remember the myths and that a 45 will not tear off legs and arms and send people flying due to it being a super round. And that there is no such thing as "knock down power".
    So I say pick a pistol that you like 9mm or larger and practice alot and obtain some forms of training.

A few solid hits with a 9 is better than several misses with a 45, 50 or smith 500. With the cost of the ammo for the 50 and the 500 you would be no where close to being a capable shooter or have something you could conceal on your person.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    Whats your primary reason for wanting a gun ?

Hunting, sport, target, self defence ... ?

If its for self defence, you want something that has a lot of stopping power. No point buying a 9mm, where itll take a good few shots to put someone down. You want something that will stop someone in their tracks, if they charge you with a knife. (50 (s&w 500), .44, .3

I recommend the S&W .38 Special revolver.

If you are into combat style shooting, then a glock will have you pretty much covered, though youll have to learn to double tap the trigger for self defence.

Modified 1911's make prety good sport shooters.

Hunting side, I prefer custom bolt action pistols that use rifle ammo.

The main thing, is you need to feel comfortable with it, dont buy something if you are scared of the recoil, or find the trigger too hard to pull.
    Last edited by DaveC; 03-23-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: c

I have a glock 9mm and like it a lot. I used to have a ruger 357 magnum and loved that gun. It got taken away though...

African-American
    +1
    we have custom ammunition for 38's, and most of our ammunition and firearms comes from the usa.

If your a competent shot, you shouldnt miss at 10-20 feet.

Its not so much penetration power, its the ammount of damage and blood loss the rounds will cause.

in south africa you have to shoot to kill, not to mame or injure... this is to prevent the criminal from comming back with his friends, that will gang rape you and ur family, then savagly kill you all..

Well, now no one except criminals have firearms, the government made sure of that.. amazing how much the murder rate has increased since...

Did you knowthe government now wants to ban every form of self defence.. including any knife over 4", paintball guns, peperspray, tazers, toy weapons, etc

we have the highest violent crime rate in the world !! whoot !!! no1 in the world baby !! whoot number 1!!

yesterday 2 people were killed for their tivo..

I suppose us south africans can laugh about it, behind our 16foot walls, electric fencing, razor wire, wall spikes, lazer perimeter detection, flood lights, access controll, 1/2" bars on doors and windows, guard dogs, private security, anti smash window coatings, riot proof gates etc.
    Last edited by spaceman; 03-23-2008 at 01:45 PM.

For everyday killing, I really like the needler and battle rifle.

+1

Baretta 92FS 9mm

Hard to go wrong with the handgun the US Military picked.
    http://www.berettaweb.com/92%20Succe...%20success.htm

Lightweight, full size, pretty accurate, easy take down, super reliable, in short the real deal.

$550 is what I paid for mine in Nov of last year with 3 clips (of 15 rounds each).

I've listened to the endless debates about calibre. Yeah, 40S&W is the "hot" choice now, .45 the "standard", etc. Most people can't hit the side of a barn with a large calibre weapon. 9mm still has a kick, but you have 15 shots in a clip to do what you need to do.

I don't like the feel and look of the Glocks, although they are highly rated. As a newbie, the Beretta is far more safer with its' double safety approach.

let the debate begin! Sig in their smaller sizes is a good carry gun, but a little pricer. That's what most US special forces carry.

Just go for the big one "50 cal. Dessert Eagle"
    just kidding ,a 9mm would be fine, just figure out how much you want to spend......

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    Hard to go wrong with the handgun the US Military picked.
    http://www.berettaweb.com/92%20Succe...%20success.htm

Lightweight, full size, pretty accurate, easy take down, super reliable, in short the real deal.

$550 is what I paid for mine in Nov of last year with 3 clips (of 15 rounds each).

I've listened to the endless debates about calibre. Yeah, 40S&W is the "hot" choice now, .45 the "standard", etc. Most people can't hit the side of a barn with a large calibre weapon. 9mm still has a kick, but you have 15 shots in a clip to do what you need to do.

I don't like the feel and look of the Glocks, although they are highly rated. As a newbie, the Beretta is far more safer with its' double safety approach.

let the debate begin! Sig in their smaller sizes is a good carry gun, but a little pricer. That's what most US special forces carry.
    Good point
    Try the 1911 .45 the gun the US Army picked until NATO standardization forced a new metric choice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information