Sportster SC failure?

Is this what I think it is?

10 hours on new Sportster, went to install metal washers as a preventative measure ...

What to do next - any suggestions appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	63723  

OH NO,,,,,,,

yup, you lost a ceramic washer...
    IMHO best thing to do is put it back together since you only have 10 hours on it, assuming you have factory warranty and let the dealer fix it.
    There are some good dealers oput here who know their salt. where are you from?...

if not, your in for a tear down and clean out at your expense and it`s costly...

Thanks for the reply - I'm in Jersey, and yes still have warranty (purchased less than a year ago).

What types of things should I be asking so that I know its fixed right (oil pump replacement, etc)? I'm particularly concerned that even with a fix this motor is a time bomb now. Are there any dealers/mechanics you would recommend particularly for this type of fix?

Quote Originally Posted by offroadagain View Post
    Thanks for the reply - I'm in Jersey, and yes still have warranty (purchased less than a year ago).

What types of things should I be asking so that I know its fixed right (oil pump replacement, etc)? I'm particularly concerned that even with a fix this motor is a time bomb now. Are there any dealers/mechanics you would recommend particularly for this type of fix?
    not neccessarily a time bomb. did you feel the power drop off? how much time did you ride with blown SC?
    anyways: Contact Shibby1485 here, he can absolutely answer your questions more indepth.
    I reccommend Formula One marine. It`s a bit of a journey as they are located in Seaford LI, NY, but IMHO it `s worth thr trip to have qualified peolpe working on your investment!...
    Where in NJ are you?
    where did you buy the boat?...

+1
    omg!!!
    how the heck does a jetboat frag the washers at 10 hrs?????
    this is a huge warning sign to all. really reinforces the idea that the ceramics HAVE to be changed on day 1!!!!
    i alsways thought unhooking and WOT killed washers, but unless you were jumping your jetboat out of the water alot, i bet the washers blew apart
    from just basic use.

No, there were several '07 Speedsters that blew ceramics last year... some just putting around during break-in. I got lucky and made it through 10 hours before having them switched out. Coming unhooked probably doesn't help the situation, but it's definitely not the only cause.

They could have blown after the first five minutes - the boat (to me) has felt the same from day one. No loss in power, holds a steady 7200 rpm / ~ 50 mph, etc. If you look close at the pic there is one small piece of washer, that I believe, is still holding 'things' together.

I'm glad I pulled it off to put the metal washers on (I think) ...

Amazing that little piece stayed in place with the centrifugal force and clutch slippage. The good news is, when it gets put back together right, you'll feel like you put on a half dozen of the best performance mods, because you'll be running more like 55-56mph @ 8000rpms.

When you say "new Sportster with 10 hours" I assume you have an '07 Speedster? (or could you have an '06 Sportster that was never run?)

Off Road Where did you buy your boat ?

Thread Information