Domestic Electrical Question

Hi guys, I am installing a '96 1050 engine into a '95 SLT hull. Thanks to everyone posting the diagrams and schematics I believe I am almost ready to complete the wiring and fire the engine up.
    I am using an electrical box out of '99 Genesis; I think. I installed a new 4060180 CDI.
    The voltage regulator has 7 wires. One wire is P/W. What does it go to? If I don't need it can I leave it open?
    Also, the CDI I removed is a 4010379. Can this CDI be used on the 1050?
    Any advice that will keep me from frying my electrical is greatly appreciated!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Looking at the 2002 Genesis Service manual diagram (page 259), Purple/White wire from the LR-505 goes to pin 1 of the Genesis MFI display. I think it is to allow the MFI security to prevent the starter solenoid from engaging.

Since you do not have a Genesis MFI, I would think that grounding the Pur/Wht wire would allow the starter solenoid to function. This needs to be verified.

This means the engine will always crank, even with the tether disconnected. If you run the Pur/Wht wire through a key switch to ground, then you have some security against unwanted starting/theft.

BTW, you have downloaded the Genesis service manual, and reviewed the electrical diagrams - yes?

Say, did the '99 Genesis use a different two part system (voltage regulator and ???) than later years? I hope I am not leading you astray here...

Previous thread;.

'97 1050 Info and parts needed
    Last edited by K447; 03-23-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Thank you very much K447! I do not have the Genesis manual. The only schematic I could find is not very clear. I like the idea of having a starter security switch.
    I do not know about about the two-part regulator question.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Polaris Service manuals - Polaris 2002 Manual

Also look in the Tech section on here for more info.

+1
    It appears the regulator is a LR-505(according to the 2001 service manual)As K447 stated the Purple/white wire goes directly to the MFI(display) although in 01 it does not interupt the starter solenoid.It does have the Black/yellow wire running to the regulator,I think if the MFI grounds that wire(same as the STOP switch) it will crank but not start.Leaving that wire diconnected should be fine.
    Other than that,I think the LR-505 should be the same as LR-31.Same charging voltage/amperage.

The 4010379 CDI,shows applic to 2000 Genesis/Virage TX/SLX/PRO 1200 and 2001 Virage TX. I never tried it,but I think it will work with the new style or updated stator.
    The 4060180 CDI work with the old style stator. I think you have the bases covered.
    To figure out which stator you have ,you could measure it according to TECH section(at the elect box,so you don't have to disassembl front cover/flywheel). The 2 will measure completly different.
    Last edited by casey67; 03-23-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Smile

Thanks Casey67. My current stator is probably the original but I'll check it to be sure. I have read here that the original is a weak part. I'll keep my eye's open for an updated one as money allows. Unfortunately I have too many projects right now.
    You guys are the best!!

+1
    If it measures good,run it.I have the original in my 1050,I also bought a good original back-up,cheap.I think it's a nice option to be able to run the old stuff nobody wants.

K447, you are correct about the Pur/W wire from the regulator. The starter solenoid gets its ground from the regulator. If the Pur/W wire is not grounded the solenoid will not operate. Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Thread Information